Featured Posts
LilyBeansMom
Book Suggestions?
November 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM
I want to get dd some new books for Christmas and her birthday. She is in 2nd grade and will be 8 in February. Our school is generally a little ahead of most in reading and she is 2nd in her class in AR - so she is a pretty good reader for her age. She has recently started reading chapter books and loves them! Now I would like to get her more but I was just looking at the Scholastic books through school and have no idea! I got her some "Freddie Fernortner, Fearless First Grader" books at an auction. She really enjoyed those so we have gotten a couple more of that series. Now what?? I tried just sorting by her grade but there are some that look awful and some that are clearly a little too young for her. If you have recommendations that your kids have enjoyed, I would sure appreciate it!

Replies

• alexsmomaubrys2
    November 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

My DD is 6 and reading at a 3rd grade level. She loves Nancy Drew, Ivy and Bean <-- Fantastic books, Boxcar Children, Goosebumps, Sisters Grimm. Books like that.

• Karen_S
    by Karen_S
    November 7, 2012 at 7:04 PM

If she's ready for level 3/4, then you could try the Magic Tree House series.  My DD *loves* them. She's only 5, so I read them to her, but she loves the stories. And I have two friends who have daughters a little older who love them. They're educational in a fun way...and there are a zillion of them, so if she likes them you guys can stock up from the library and it'll keep her going for ages. 

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    November 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Little House books

The Magic Treehouse books are good, my nieces & nephews have really enjoyed them.

• aj23
    by aj23
    November 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Its kind of funny, I've been looking at the scholastic flyers this afternoon trying to find books for Christmas presents and I got on here to ask for suggestions too.

The Magic Tree House books are good and the flyer I'm looking at right now has the whole collection of 43 books for $66.99 which is a great price for them.

My niece is around that age and she really likes the Junie B Jones series and books by Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary.
  • notjstanothrmom
    November 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Magic Tree House!!
  • frndlyfn
    November 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Has she read Junie B yet? Pinkalicious?  Ask her teacher on what she would recommend.  That is what i am doing for dd's christmas since the teacher observes them reading in class every day.

• LilyBeansMom
    November 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    Thank you all so much!
  • MaddieLainesMom
    November 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM

What about Magic Treehouse, Boxcar Children, Series of Unfortunate Events, Junie B. Jones, Little House on the Prarie series. 

• Kris_PBG
    November 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM

The girls in my son's class LOVE the "Fairy" series books...  (They are by Daisy Meadows).

• DrDoofenshmirtz
    November 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

DD is 6 and a very strong reader.  The chapter book she enjoys are Rainbow Magic Fairy, Magic Treehouse, Cam Jansen, Young Nancy Drew, A-Z Mysteries, Boxcar Children, Junie B Jones, Ivy and Bean, Katie Kazoo, Judy Moody adn the Ramona books.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts