diaperstodating
Kids and glasses
October 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM

My four year old will be wearing glasses soon. Do you have a child who wore glasses as a toddler or a toddler now who wears glasses? Do you have any tips for me and my son? 

I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old -  and so have my two older sons, but I don't have experience with a toddler/preschooler wearing eyeglasses.

January 30th:

My son lost his glasses at school. He took them off in the classroom and his teachers could not find them. He goes to Pre K and has two teachers, they sent an email to the parents in the class asking any of the other children may have accidently took the glasses home. It's been weeks and his glasses have not been found! I now realize it was a bad idea to buy a toddler an expensive pair of Spiderman glasses without going through insurance (bought them online). 

I did get him a first pair with insurance from Vision Works and he seemed to like them. He was very excited, they were blue and he likes blue... but the next day he didn't like them and luckily I was able to return them. 

Is there anything I can do? Can I talk to the Principal? Or do I just have to accept that he lost them and nothing will be done about it?

He has a backup pair, but I have not been sending them to school with them. Should I, or should I continue just having him wear them at home?

Replies

• diaperstodating
    October 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I am excited, and so is he. I know I shouldn't be excited that yet another son has to wear glasses but I am... I finally have a son who is looking forward to wearing them.

• frndlyfn
    October 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM

DD recieved hers last year in kindergarten so i do not know if i will be any help.  She didnt mind getting them since her teachers have glasses as well as some of the classmates in school who were her friends.  I worried more about her coming home with the wrong glasses as if the girls would try each others on.

• annas_momma
    October 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    Don't get the plastic ones. They break way to easily, no matter how cute they look on. The metal ones can be bent back into place, the plastic ones just snap
  • janitablue
    October 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My son is eight years old and he wear glasses. I prefer the plastic because it can survive anything. Now he needs need pair of glasses because the lens pop out.

• steelcrazy
    October 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

My son was 6 when he got glasses for the first time.  My big rules were that when he took them off, they needed to be put in their case and sat on his desk at school, or then end table at home.  He wasn't permitted to wear them for PE, recess, or on the bus, they had to be in their case in his backpack on the bus.

• diaperstodating
    October 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Thank you. Good advice ladies. I am on the fence about plastic or metal, but the info is helpful.

• MommeisQueen
    October 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I only have one child who wears glasses. I have prescription readers that I wear and I think this helped my daughter get over "being different" plus she has a couple of friends who wear them too. As far as metal or plastic, I don't know. I would let him pick his own frames or maybe two frames in case one pair does break.  

• taz1993
    by taz1993
    October 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM
    I have been wondering about little ones wearing glasses as well. I had to order glasses for my 5 yr old last week. Should be in this week
  • SahmTam
    by SahmTam
    October 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM

My youngest started wearing glasses about 2 months after he turned 3. I got him a kind that had "cable ends" that wrap slightly around the ear to keep them on better. I was afraid he'd be a little rowdy and they'd fall off and break. lol He never tried taking them off and did well- I was surprised!

He also had strabismus (eye crossing) that never corrected with patching, so he ended up having surgery to pull the muscles into alignment. After that he no longer needed glasses. Little boys look so cute in glasses- I almost miss them. ;-)

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    October 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I'd recommend flexible frames if you can get them. Ds2 is harder on his glasses, and frames w/ a little give to them are wonderful. His last pair got stepped on (they had fallen out of his pocket- yes, he knew better- and into the grass) and they were just bent out of shape.