Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
RMT1995
Baby tooth turning gray (updated)
by RMT1995
October 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

My daughter is closing in on 8 years old and she's only lost 2 baby teeth (bottom front). She GOT her teeth late, so we expected this. (And her dentist confirmed that it's common) Her top front tooth has been loose for a few months now, but she refuses to wiggle it to lose it because she doesn't want to "look funny" with teeth missing. I've tried explaining that this happens to ALL kids and there's no getting around it (and that kids with missing front teeth are ADORABLE!!) but she doesn't want to hear it.

Now that it's turning gray, I'm assuming it's dead or dying. I told her she needs to wiggle it out or we'll have to make a trip to her dentist. "I'm going to look like a chipmunk!" was her response. I said again, all kids have missing teeth, but I don't see many with dark teeth, so she needs to decide which she prefers. At least wiggling it loose results in a tooth fairy visit - where she can use the money to buy some fake teeth (HA, she didn't care for that joke)

Anyone else have their kiddo freak out about losing teeth? Anyone else's kid have the tooth turn dark without trauma to it? Just on its own?

*Update: The threat of the dentist worked, because she started wiggling it more and it came out this morning on its own :)

Replies

• soymujer
    October 14, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I thought my youngest would freak out when he lost his first teeth but he did really well!

• babynurse244
    October 14, 2012 at 11:08 PM

My son slipped and fell when he was about 18 months old and knocked his front tooth loose and chipped it. We had him checked out the next day and the dentist has been watching for any color changes which he said would indicate a damaged nerve or dying tooth. It hasn't changed color and he's now 4, still monitoring it. Given that, I'd call the dentist and let him know and probably get it looked at just to be on the safe side.

Quoting KRIZZ25:

i would have it looked at..my ss had lot issues wth his teeth.he had 2 sets of top teeth.

• AlohaTink
    October 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    Ds just lost his 2nd tooth (both bottom). The last one had the adult tooth coming in behind it so after a week of wiggling, I finally made him let me pull it. He was excited because the tooth fairy fave him 50 cents.
  • SweetPea2004
    October 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

My eight year old is upsett that she won't be losing anymore teeth till she is around 10-11. She loves the tooth fairy visiting her.

• RMT1995
    by RMT1995
    October 15, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Thanks for all of your replies.

I texted my SIL last night (she works for a dentist) who said she thinks she should be seen. We told our daughter that she needs to get to wiggling it, and if it comes out before her appointment, we can cancel it. She won't even SHOW it to us anymore, she's so insecure about it now :( She HAD said it was hurting a little, but I think that was from it becoming more and more loose, because she says it feels fine now.

Her first tooth took 4 months to come out - and the Tooth Fairy left her $20. (Because it was her first, because she waited so patiently for so long, and because that's all she had that night LOL) The second one she got $5. From here on out, she gets $1 for each one, but she doesn't know that ... I thought the temptation of getting some money would be enough to get her wanting it out, but she's more concerned about the way she's going to look. I guess she's seen some teasing at school because of missing teeth and she thinks she can avoid it.

• miss_AP
    by miss_AP
    October 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Mine is sad because she hasn't lost any yet :) I would take her in...I had one that did that....just never would come out. They took me in to "pull" it but since it was all greyed out it was just a shell. No numbing or anything, they just popped it off with a scraper stick thing. Easy as pie.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts