Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
RMT1995
Baby tooth turning gray (updated)
by RMT1995
October 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM

My daughter is closing in on 8 years old and she's only lost 2 baby teeth (bottom front). She GOT her teeth late, so we expected this. (And her dentist confirmed that it's common) Her top front tooth has been loose for a few months now, but she refuses to wiggle it to lose it because she doesn't want to "look funny" with teeth missing. I've tried explaining that this happens to ALL kids and there's no getting around it (and that kids with missing front teeth are ADORABLE!!) but she doesn't want to hear it.

Now that it's turning gray, I'm assuming it's dead or dying. I told her she needs to wiggle it out or we'll have to make a trip to her dentist. "I'm going to look like a chipmunk!" was her response. I said again, all kids have missing teeth, but I don't see many with dark teeth, so she needs to decide which she prefers. At least wiggling it loose results in a tooth fairy visit - where she can use the money to buy some fake teeth (HA, she didn't care for that joke)

Anyone else have their kiddo freak out about losing teeth? Anyone else's kid have the tooth turn dark without trauma to it? Just on its own?

*Update: The threat of the dentist worked, because she started wiggling it more and it came out this morning on its own :)

Replies

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    October 14, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Nope. Mine thinks it's awesome.

The only reason I can think for a tooth to turn dark (if it isn't damaged or dead) is if the child is ingesting too much flouride. But if that were the case, it'd be happening to more than one tooth.

• KRIZZ25
    by KRIZZ25
    October 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    i would have it looked at..my ss had lot issues wth his teeth.he had 2 sets of top teeth.
  • banana-bear
    October 14, 2012 at 8:00 PM
    My oldest doesn't really like the idea of it. She has lost two so far; she's 6.
  • knagsmom
    October 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM

my son was almost 5 and had a dead tooth because he kept hitting his month the dentist pulled it and he has been fine ever since. he is 5 yrs old now though

• melisawoosley
    October 14, 2012 at 8:28 PM
    Dd loves it lol she lost her first tooth right at her 5th bday and has lost several since then :)
  • mysticfaery25
    October 14, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    My dd has had her top two teeth loose for 4 months. One is discolored and barely hanging there. It's driving me crazy but she won't pull it.
  • quickbooksworm
    October 14, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Its discolored because its dead. But if it is loose its not going to harm anything. The root will still continue to dissolve and it will eventually fall out. I wouldn't have a loose baby tooth extracted unless it becomes painful or starts to smell off.
  • GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    October 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I might call the dentist to see what they say, but I suspect quickbooksworm is right.

• mommy06and09
    October 14, 2012 at 9:51 PM
    personally i pulled ds first tooth and the dentist pulled the next two cause there were grown up teeth coming in behind them.
  • seraphimsong
    October 14, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Lol, my dd wants to her teeth to fall out! All of her friends lost teeth first, she just lost her first one a couple months ago

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN