AidanTiarra
Turning homework in - help
October 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM
DS has the hardest time remembering to turn his homework in. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help him remember to do this?

At first I thought it was just because his teacher this year collects homework differently than last year and he has a hard time with change. However school started at the end of August and he is still having a hard time getting his homework turned in on time.

My son is 7 and in the second grade. He has had some learning delays but has not had any official diagnoses. He gets pulled out of class to work on reading and speech/communication issues. He has gotten so much better in the last year but I cannot seem to get him to remember to turn his homework in. He does it, just 1/3 of it doesn't get turned in on time.

Replies

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    October 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Does he have an agenda with a checklist?  If not, get one.  Each day he should be listing the assignments due for the next day and then checking them off on the left when done AND then on the right when turned in.  You AND the teacher can visually and quickly see as well.

• joanne928
    October 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Our school provides wach child with an agenda. It has a place for them to write down their homework. My son is 10 and once he completes the homework he puts a check beside it. THen when he turns it in the next day he puts a line through it. We try to go over his agenda when he gets home and again in the morning. This has worked really well for us.

• steelcrazy
    October 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM

An agenda and a folder are a must to stay organized.  Every morning when he gets to school he should check his folder for papers that need turned in and turn them in, and like PP said he should also check them off on his agenda when they get turned in.

• mjande4
    by mjande4
    October 11, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Ours does too and it really is a NECESSARY tool for success in my opinion.

Quoting joanne928:

Our school provides wach child with an agenda. It has a place for them to write down their homework. My son is 10 and once he completes the homework he puts a check beside it. THen when he turns it in the next day he puts a line through it. We try to go over his agenda when he gets home and again in the morning. This has worked really well for us.

• AidanTiarra
    October 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    He does have an agenda. I sign it to show I know what he had to do that day and how his behavior was as well as list his reading minutes. He forgets to turn that in at the end of the week too, even though we remind him. Maybe if I have him sign it too it will help him remember, thanks. His teacher doesn't look in their folder, they are supposed to put their homework and agendas in a basket so if he doesn't put it in she doesn't see it.

Quoting mjande4:

Does he have an agenda with a checklist?  If not, get one.  Each day he should be listing the assignments due for the next day and then checking them off on the left when done AND then on the right when turned in.  You AND the teacher can visually and quickly see as well.

• RachaelMommy3
    October 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

A folder and an agenda really help with this. All 3 of my kids have these, and everynight we go through their agenda and check to make sure that everything has been completed and we place the completed work in their folder. This has helped us keep them organized and made homework issues almost nonexsistent for us.

• babynurse244
    October 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

We have a spot by the front door where everything goes for the following morning that needs to be taken. Homework is sent home for us on Mondays and is due on Fridays. We make sure the packet is in DD's backpack on Thursday night and by the front door so she doesn't forget it. Does the teacher have a set day of the week all homework is turned in?

• AidanTiarra
    October 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM
    He has one, but for some reason as soon as he gets in the classroom he magically forgets everything. It does help him remember to do his homework at home but it doesn't seem to help him turn it in for some reason.

Quoting RachaelMommy3:

A folder and an agenda really help with this. All 3 of my kids have these, and everynight we go through their agenda and check to make sure that everything has been completed and we place the completed work in their folder. This has helped us keep them organized and made homework issues almost nonexsistent for us.

• M4LG5
    by M4LG5
    October 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

So, he is doing his homework....just not turning it in?

My twins were in kindergarten last year and they did have problems remember so I got a safety pin and added beads to it (you can laminate a card and hook it on to the pin) and had them put it on their backpack where they will see it when they put their backpack away.  Anytime they had that on their backpack, they were reminded that they have something to turn in. 

• AidanTiarra
    October 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    No, there is generally homework due several days a week. His homework is in his folder but he doesn't put it in the homework basket when he gets to school.

Quoting babynurse244:

We have a spot by the front door where everything goes for the following morning that needs to be taken. Homework is sent home for us on Mondays and is due on Fridays. We make sure the packet is in DD's backpack on Thursday night and by the front door so she doesn't forget it. Does the teacher have a set day of the week all homework is turned in?