Elementary School Kids

babynurse244
kindergartener can't get to school on time. Any suggestions?
October 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
My daughter started kindergarten this year. She loves school, but getting her out the door in the mornings is a nightmare. She won't go potty, won't get dressed, runs and hides behind the sofa. Im currently on 2 more weeks of bedrest with a twin pregnancy, scheduled CS on 10/26, so I'm not much help in the mornings. She's making us crazy. She also goofs off, laughs and hides behind the sofa and won't come out until we physically drag her. She's late at least once a week requiring we get a tardy slip. I don't know how to motivate ger to get out the door in the mornings. Any suggestions? She gets enough sleep and we're allowing enough time, but having to force her to do things and chase her suck up every minute we have. We've taken away TV and her StarFall time and that doesn't seem to phase her or she isn't making the connection.

Replies

• peanutsmommy1
    October 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Make her sleep in her clothes

• gotnothinonme
    October 9, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Maybe some kind of incentive program?

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    October 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    Have her ride the bus
  • babynurse244
    October 9, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    I also meant to add we do as much as possible the night before. Her snack is packed. Whatever she needs for the following day is in her backpack by the door. We pick out her clothes the night before. It's just she goofs off. She decides she doesn't want to wear what she chose, runs off, etc. She has an alarm clock and gets up. It's like she thinks this is a game and I hate being late, it completely ticks me off. It doesn't seem to phase my husband, and I'm wondering if that's part of the issue. He's always asking if we're defining "late" by school standards or his, which ticks me off. If you have to get a tardy slip, she's late and his standards need to be the same as the schools.
  • natesmom1228
    October 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Make her go to school in whatever she is dressed in at the time. She needs to know who is in control.

• maass1981
    October 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

We started using a timer for some things at home because they use one in the classroom.  Of course you can't use one for eveything, but maybe getting dressed should take so long and eating breafast should take so long. If she gets ready in time she could wear a fun sticker to school for having a good morning.  I think i would not chase her around because she might be doing that as a fun thing for herself.  I let my kindergartener know what needs to be done and how long we have to get it done.  We don't use the timer anymore.  I have the breakfast ready and lay his clothes out for him.  We did have o move his beadtime back from 8 to 7 though.  He also makes no connection when a privlige is taken away for behavior.

• ProudMommy51006
    October 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    Last year when my dd was in kindergarten, we had issues like this, this year we don't... Because, I get my dd dressed while she is sleeping. All the way down to her shoes. So, when I wake her up, all she has to do is eat, hair, and brush her teeth.... I don't force her to use the potty... She can go at school if she doesn't at home. She watches TV while she wakes up and eats breakfast. While she is doing that, I do her hair. I give her a 5 min warning (10 mins before we have to leave) to turn the TV off and brush her teeth. We brush her teeth, put on her jacket and backpack and head out the door. Very simple, but it is a routine and she knows what to expect. We have eliminated so many struggles and my dd hasn't been late once this year.
  • Raeann11
    October 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Have some sort of reward system with her. With my kindergartner was and going through it again. She is getting hit at school. But that is another story and everyone is working on it.

but she does not like to get going in the morning. Which I don't blame her. But if we have good mornings after school she can choose from some rocks. She loves rocks and can put them in her jar of rock collection.

Then when things got better. We no longer had to do that. Right know her substitute teacher is gone and her teacher is back. So this kid is seeing what he again can get away with. So again we are having to deal with it and starting for the beginning again.

I hope things get better soon.

Do something it she gets up, does what she needs to and gets to school on time. She will get some kind of reward. Even if it is a sticker on a sheet and so many she gets a reward. Then as things get better phase it out.

• KME3
    by KME3
    October 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM
    Have her dad step in. sometimes it just takes dads deep stern voice to get a kid focused...
  • Idntreallycare
    October 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    My school said send them in their pjs with clothes in their bag. If she won't pee at home she can wait for school.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN