Featured Posts
epaolini
kids not going to the school they are zoned for
October 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

Replies

• bleumonster
    October 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM
    We did that one year. Here you can go to the school you aren't zones for and ask. If they aren't full in that grade they will give you a waiver. There is no bus though. It worked ok but the next year my son entered K so we had to go where we were zoned because they needed K kids. It worked out better for us surprisingly but the schools were about equal distance from us.
  • Chymerra
    October 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

We can "opt in" here. All you need to do is get premission from the school department to go to the school. Only thing is that the kids can't take the bus (parents have to drive). My DD has two friends that opt in. One lives in the neighboring school district. The other lives the next city over.

• mama2beautiesnb
    October 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM

this really isnt a big deal in small town oklahoma. my 7 yr old goes to a elementary school in a different zone, we only have one jr high, on middle school, and one high school. then she goes to church across town. she also has friends on my street, her nana's street about a mile or so away that go to her school, and then across town at my grandmas house. theyre all around the same age, so even if they dont all go to the same elementary school they'll all end up in the higher ed schools at about the same time. and even then my "friends" and i all went to the same elementary school and we werent close by the time we graduated high school. i had other friends i didnt even meet until middle school and high school.

Quoting thebailiffs:

I am a teacher and I am really against parents not telling the truth about where they live. I think the best road is to always be honest and not lie, especially when your child knows you are not telling the truth about where you live.

I agree with applying for a school and being allowed to transfer, if there is room.
    In the town I live in each neighborhood pays special taxes (often called Mello Roos) for the school in their neighborhood. So if you are in a more weathly area you pay more. When families attend their "home" school they are tracked with the kids in the neighborhood for their educational process. So you all start at X elem. school, then Y middle and then Z high school. One of the goals of this to to help to keep children together as a cohort through their educational career. Also, kids grow close and can attend each others birthday partiess.
    So with that in mind, if someone doesn't pay the special tax that school is loose out on that funding.

Hope this makes sense, ok off my soap box.

• ddhb2007
    October 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    So you've illegally enrolled your kids in the wrong school? I understand wanting a closer or better school. However, there are legal ways to do this. What you are doing is wrong, and I hope you get caught.
  • maxswolfsuit
    Max
    October 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Quoting Kathy489:

I thought you could choose your school, anyway, because of the "no child left behind act?" Or don't they have that anymore?

There are specific rules that go with that. You can only choose another school if your home school is poor performing. And then they give you specific schools to choose from. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    October 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Quoting thebailiffs:

I am a teacher and I am really against parents not telling the truth about where they live. I think the best road is to always be honest and not lie, especially when your child knows you are not telling the truth about where you live.

I agree with applying for a school and being allowed to transfer, if there is room.
    In the town I live in each neighborhood pays special taxes (often called Mello Roos) for the school in their neighborhood. So if you are in a more weathly area you pay more. When families attend their "home" school they are tracked with the kids in the neighborhood for their educational process. So you all start at X elem. school, then Y middle and then Z high school. One of the goals of this to to help to keep children together as a cohort through their educational career. Also, kids grow close and can attend each others birthday partiess.
    So with that in mind, if someone doesn't pay the special tax that school is loose out on that funding.

Hope this makes sense, ok off my soap box.

I totally agree. Not only are you lying your child has to lie too. I don't know how old your kids are, but they will realize this. It sends a horrible message about honesty. 

• anxiousschk
    October 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

My child doesn't but I know other students who do.  

However, I never think it's right to use a false address to get into a different school.  

Where I live you can send your child to any school within the city/county as long as you provide transportation.  That is what I am referring to above (that I know students who do.) 

If you provide a false address to get into the school system, your child will be expelled and you may very well be charged. 

I don't think that 9 miles is too far to ride on a bus.  

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    October 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

My child will attend a school outside of our zone. But they allow waivers. 

• mommaFruFru
    October 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    Yes, but we do it legally. We filled a transfer requwst. We hate our school district, plus the other school is closer. We fill out the request and wait to be approved.

What you are doing can get you in bigttrouble. Over 100 families in our old city now must pay back the school district for that same act.
  • WesternNYmom
    October 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Here we have 3 Elementary schools, 1 middle school, and 1 Highschool.   The school my daughter goes to  is located less than a block from our home. I can see the back doors to the school from my house.  My son attends school at the elementary school in the center of town. Our district reopended ds's school in the mid 90's and started a program where all the kids in kindergarten and first grade attended school there. About 3 years ago, the school expanded to include a morning and afternoon Universal Pre K program.  The school is now known as the Charolette Sidway Early Childhood Education Center.  My daughter's school and the other elementary school, located at the other end of our Island has classes for students starting in grade 2 and ending in grade 5.  The middle school then runs from grade 5- 8, and the the highschool 9-12th.    Dh and I are happy with the programs at both the kid's schools, and my kids are happy where they are. The only thing I am not happy about is the long bus ride my son has to take to and from school. He is on the bus for almost an hour in the morning and afternoon.  Thanks to budget cuts, and high gas prices, our district decided to cut the amount of busses it  runs everyday in half. No instead of 2 kids to a seat the bus drivers are craming kids 3 and 4 to a seat.  The district is also being required to pickup and drop of students attending the program at the local private school here.  The problem with this is that who ever is running that school thinks that the driver's schedual doesn't apply to there school, and often the school is loading up and unloading the student 10-20mins after the schdualed arrival and departure times. It burns me up when I hear from my son's teacher that he was late for school thanks to the bus, or I am standing outside until 430pm wondering where the bus is only to find out that the bus was held up at the private school due to an assembly letting out late, or some kids forgot his/her band instrument and took forever going to retrieve it.  The latter gets me really steamed, because at the public schools, if a student is not on the bus on time, the drive leaves without them.  I remember when dd was in 1st grade, I had to go and pick her up from the office, because dd missed the bus, because she had to use the rest room at the last min.  She missed getting on the bus by one min.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts