Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
epaolini
kids not going to the school they are zoned for
October 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

dies anyone else do this? our school we have chosen for 2 reasons, one is its 6 miles closer and its a better school as far as teachers and academic excellence. we are literally one block south of the cutoffline for the zoning but the one we go to(we used a friends adress0 is only 2 miles away.. and the other one is nearly 9 miles...the kids would have to ride a rus to go there due to my husbands and my work schedule.... think 9 miles is too long or a 5 and 6 yr old to ride....

Replies

• chinosruca
    October 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    We go out of our zoned area, but we have written permission from the school district and school.
  • poietes
    by poietes
    October 6, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    Milege does really matter we are 4 miles andmy son isstill on the bus for 45 min. It all depends on the route and # of stops.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

9 miles too long. Hahahaha no!!!!!!

My dd rides the bus for 25 miles one way!!!! Plus snow in the winter. It's over an hour ride. So yeah I'd take 9 miles over 25 any day!!!
  • Lorelai_Nicole
    October 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I was out-of-district from 5th grade until I graduated high school. I used my grandfather's address until 11th grade and then my aunt's address...It kept me in better schools and that was important to my mom. So I've been there!

• anikahaynes1
    October 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM
    Well I assure you 90% of her ride is non stop. We live in upstate New York. Very rural.

Quoting poietes:

Milege does really matter we are 4 miles andmy son isstill on the bus for 45 min. It all depends on the route and # of stops.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

My dd rides the bus for 25 miles one way!!!! Plus snow in the winter. It's over an hour ride. So yeah I'd take 9 miles over 25 any day!!!

• poietes
    by poietes
    October 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    I understand that, I grew up in a town of 300 people in the middle of nowhere where everyone is a farm kid, but Im just saying that the mileage of the trip has absolutely nothing to do with the actual time of the ride.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Well I assure you 90% of her ride is non stop. We live in upstate New York. Very rural.

Quoting poietes:

Quoting anikahaynes1:

• iansusie
    October 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

I believe it is open enrolledment within your school district (School of Choice), we have many charter schools. the one my son attends is a Type 2 charter which means it is open to any child who resides in the state. Off course it is mostly children from the 2 parishes that are close to the schools.

• arthistmom
    October 7, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Our son attends a public magnet school outside our school district for which we have to get a permit (and a release from the home district) for him to attend.

• sweetgrlangel
    October 7, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    Why use a friends address why not just open enroll, I have always open enrolled my kids to our school, we literally on the wrong side of the street for schools, but now we live in the middle of town so we use public transportation. And next year we will again.
  • thebailiffs
    October 7, 2012 at 12:37 AM
    I am a teacher and I am really against parents not telling the truth about where they live. I think the best road is to always be honest and not lie, especially when your child knows you are not telling the truth about where you live.

I agree with applying for a school and being allowed to transfer, if there is room.
    In the town I live in each neighborhood pays special taxes (often called Mello Roos) for the school in their neighborhood. So if you are in a more weathly area you pay more. When families attend their "home" school they are tracked with the kids in the neighborhood for their educational process. So you all start at X elem. school, then Y middle and then Z high school. One of the goals of this to to help to keep children together as a cohort through their educational career. Also, kids grow close and can attend each others birthday partiess.
    So with that in mind, if someone doesn't pay the special tax that school is loose out on that funding.

Hope this makes sense, ok off my soap box.
  • anikahaynes1
    October 7, 2012 at 1:08 AM
    Ok. I can accept that I know nothing about this. I was fortunate to not have to ride a bus. But now as an army family and moving so much. I can't afford the gas to drive and pick up from school. This is my first bussing experience. Guess I am just naive.

Quoting poietes:

I understand that, I grew up in a town of 300 people in the middle of nowhere where everyone is a farm kid, but Im just saying that the mileage of the trip has absolutely nothing to do with the actual time of the ride.

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Quoting poietes:

Quoting anikahaynes1:

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts