Featured Posts
Lorelai_Nicole
Am I Just Blind? ***edit***
October 5, 2012 at 11:54 PM
This is kind of a spinoff of another post...

Could someone please explain to me where the "sex appeal" is on shows like iCarly or Wizards of Waverly Place? I just don't see it...

ETA: Okay, so now I know I'm not just blind, LOL. Sometimes I think people look at things from an adult perspective instead of a kid's, and therefore sexualize things that aren't meant to be sexy.

Replies

• Pukalani79
    October 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM

What? I've missed something obviously.  My kids watch them occassionally.

• nova.mommy
    October 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    There is?
  • Basherte
    October 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I enjoy those shows as well. Some of the outfits that are worn on Wizards of Waverly Pace, I want. 

I also think that some adults tend to sexualize things that are actually innocent.

I'm reminded of a picture I was shown. It was of a man and a woman about to get intimate. There were also dolphins in the picture. They showed this picture to I think 5 year olds. And all they saw were the dolphins on the picture. Where as the adults saw the two people and missed the dolphins completely.

Unless the stuff is literal and blatantly sexual, I think kids probably see it as innocent things happening. LIke a mother breast feeding an infant. Some adult would be appalled at that. I'm not. SOme kids might not even know what is going on and ask. Once explained that the mom is feeding her baby they will just say okay.

why do we get all bent out of shape over the human body?

• motherslove82
    October 7, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    I don't know, I like those shows. I could see that argument for Drake and Josh, I don't like that one at all.
  • LittleBirdFly
    October 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I have not watched icarly much. I have not notice them dress too revealing. They are always covered. Just now by thinking about it I think saved by the bell was way worse! Dress wise and date wise

Quoting endurablemist:

Maybe in the way they dress? Which I actually haven't seen anything too terrible. Or because they date. I really don't see it though.

• sakpoints
    October 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM

None that I have noticed. They are shows about teens so some dating drama is to be expected, but nothing I am worried about DD watching, although I did not like her watching them when she was under school age.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts