diaperstodating
Girl names for boys
October 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Would you, or have you named your son what most people might consider a "girl" name? Some examples are Tracy, Shannon, Lindsey and Hilary.

Replies

• MistyMoo
    October 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM
    I would use Tegan for a boy and that's about it.
  • diaperstodating
    October 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    I have boys and I didn't do it. I am interested in hearing if anyone did decide to use a "girl" name why they did. It's been a question on my mind for years.
  • momtoBrenna
    October 4, 2012 at 2:43 PM
    I named my ds a name that people are starting to appropriate for girls, Quinn. Such as each of the names that you listed started out as male names with the exception of Hilary. This happens a lot. A name starts out male and then people think it's cute for girls and then, over time if becomes a primarily girl name.
  • diaperstodating
    October 4, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Interesting. Thank you momtoBrenna. (Quinn sounds like a boy name to me)
  • JulesFairy
    October 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    I didnt know lindsey was ever used for boys. I have only girls so i am no help
  • momtoBrenna
    October 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM
    Quoting JulesFairy:

I didnt know lindsey was ever used for boys. I have only girls so i am no help

Yep, it was a boy name back in the day and I actually know 2 men named Lindsey. The same goes for Lesley, Kelly and so on.
  • Kaybean
    by Kaybean
    October 4, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    I think Jamie is okay for a boy, but not the ones you listed.
  • Tracys2
    by Tracys2
    October 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM

No, though it was frustrating because so many names I'd consider boy names (Avery, Sam, my mind is blanking on the others) are used for girls now, so it's hard to get a "boys-only" name.

My name was Tracy, so I heard stories from girls and boys with "either way" names, and mostly they were not too thrilled.

• BuckeyezRule
    October 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    I know more male Kelly's than female. :) I also know male Tracy, Shannon, Jamie. Others are more unisex.
  • chinosruca
    October 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM
    We have a great family friend named Tracy. I also know guys named Dana, Angel and Margot.