Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Cindy18
This just seems like a conflict of interest to me......
by Cindy18
October 3, 2012 at 5:40 PM

The whole school (300 students) goes on a field trip to an apple orchard.

$17.00 a kid to take a 2 mile bus ride, a small paper cup of Apple Cider, one doughnut, one hotdog and a bottle of water.

The kicker is one of the teachers at this school OWNS the orchard.

There are two other apple orchards within the same mileage from the school.

What do you think about this?

Replies

• michelleinfl
    October 3, 2012 at 6:18 PM

They probably charge $17.00 to help cover for the kids that cannot or do not pay their way. If it's that big of a deal to you, do not allow your child to go.

• Barabell
    October 3, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Based on what we pay for field trips, I think it's expensive. Usually, my only fee is busing, and that is $5 per field trip. The field trips never include food. Either the kids pack lunch or they can buy a packed lunch from the cafeteria for the same daily cafeteria rate (under $2).

So I think it's expensive. 

If the field trip is still cheaper than the other orchids, then maybe there isn't a conflict of interest. I just don't know enough about the rates of your area.

• jaytee
    by jaytee
    Jen
    October 3, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    That's insanely expensive! Also they went to an apple orchard and didn't even get an apple!! Geez, man!
  • Strega
    by Strega
    October 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    Right? When Delia went, she got all that and a Pumpkin too!

Quoting jaytee:

That's insanely expensive! Also they went to an apple orchard and didn't even get an apple!! Geez, man!
  • banana-bear
    October 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM
    I can't believe people want something for nothing. Y'all are outrageous. It's not a bad deal and I don't see it as a conflict of interest.
  • coolmommy2x
    October 3, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    It doesn't seem expensive to me. If the price is competitive, I don't see an issue there either.
  • Tracys2
    by Tracys2
    October 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM

That's a lot more than we pay, even given apple orchards do charge to pick. But wait- what are they doing at the orchard if they aren't picking apples? And if they are, where do the apples end up?

We paid less than $15 this week for my son to get bussed 20 miles each way to a kids' science museum for the day, including admission. I suspect a lot is subsidised by the PTA and your PTA maybe can't do that?

There could be a conflict of interest, but it's hard to know because you don't know the % of the cost that's the bus, or the total cost for this orchard or the other 2.

It DOES sound like an excellent trip though. Apple-picking is excellent fun.

• bizkit_fanky
    October 3, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    Sounds like dd's school, nothing is ever cheap
  • NCISfan2003
    October 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I can't get past the idea that you have to pay for your child to go on a school fieldtrip.  My child went on 3 field trips last year and we didn't have to pay anything for him to attend.

• EslingerCrew11
    October 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    This

Quoting chinosruca:

How much would it cost at the other Orchards? If she is offering fair/competitive rates, it wouldn't bother me. If others are cheaper or have an overall better package for the same price, it would be a huge conflict of interest.

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN