JeremysMom
Family Tree Assignment?
September 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM
My son is suppose to do a family tree assignment, however the directions were very vague. The directions say that they want to see how everyone is cultural different and to include brothers, sisters, parents, and grandparents. What type of information shoul I put on the tree?

Replies

• mommasaint
    September 17, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Well obvioulsy the family members listed and then maybe where their ancestors came from. For us, my maternal grandparents are 100% Norwegian and my paternal grandparents are German. DH's family came from Germany on both sides. I'd probably include a picture of a Norwegian dish that my family eats on Christmas and the coat of arms from Germany on DH's side. Things like that. 

• JeremysMom
    September 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    Should I include birth/marriage/death dates?

Quoting mommasaint:

Well obvioulsy the family members listed and then maybe where their ancestors came from. For us, my maternal grandparents are 100% Norwegian and my paternal grandparents are German. DH's family came from Germany on both sides. I'd probably include a picture of a Norwegian dish that my family eats on Christmas and the coat of arms from Germany on DH's side. Things like that. 

• mommasaint
    September 17, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Yes, I would if you have them! If you have pictures you could copy, just little ones of their faces, that would be awesome too :)

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting mommasaint:

• JeremysMom
    September 17, 2012 at 1:00 AM
    That's what I was thinking.

Quoting mommasaint:

Yes, I would if you have them! If you have pictures you could copy, just little ones of their faces, that would be awesome too :)

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting mommasaint:

• frndlyfn
    September 17, 2012 at 2:16 AM

What grade is this for?  I have no clue.  I would email the teacher for clarification.

• TIPTONTNSAHM
    September 17, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I would put your child and the year they were born, you and your husband's and go back two generations passed that. Put the year born and died and put Occupations for everyone, include the country they are from. My daughter did one that included small pictures. She included a picture of the country and some facts about the country.

• Mom2jngnc
    September 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM

We did something similar, in 1st grade. 

I went with the child, with siblings, my DH and I, our parents and our grandparents. I left out Uncles and Aunt...... 

• Traci_Momof2
    September 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I would try to include the heritage of each person on the tree.  Pictures of the flag of the country of origin would be really cute.  For example, DH's grandparents were originally from Ukraine, so next to their names on the tree I would put a Ukrainian flag to represent that.  On my dad's side of the family, my dad and uncle actually did extensive family tree research and found out when our ancestors came over here many generations ago.  I wouldn't necessarily include each name from all those generation but perhaps on that branch of the tree I would include a paragraph saying something like "Our family originally came to the US in the year ____ from the country of _______.  It was 3 brothers who originally came over.  Our family decends from one of those brothers."

I think once you get started with your child it will just flow from there.  Maybe you also have an interesting story or two to share on the board, something your grandma told you about when she was growing up.  Just let the ideas flow.  My guess is that perhaps the teacher made it vague on purpose to get the kids thinking creatively on their own.  Guide your child to think of some things that he thinks would be fun and/or appropriate to share.

• JeremysMom
    September 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

2nd grade

Quoting frndlyfn:

What grade is this for?  I have no clue.  I would email the teacher for clarification.

• Babujai
    by Babujai
    September 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Go to FamilyEcho.com.  It's a free website where you can list everyone and get them on a tree for your base and then you can print it out and add pictures and stuff.