Elementary School Kids

Featured Posts
Silvermom
Hunger games in school?
September 15, 2012 at 1:14 PM
My fifth grader brought home letter stating that for their government and revolution unit in school they will be reading The hunger games book. They are requiring a permission slip to read this but I have not read these books and am not sure which way to go. Any advice ? Or thoughts if you've read them?

Replies

• matofour
    September 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM
    My daughter is in fifth grade, she read them last year.
    My second grader has also read them.
    I would say, at this point almost all of the fifth graders in my daughters class have read the series.
    My husband and I talked about it when she asked, but then decided she had read things like Anne franks diary, and many other things about war and death that are true. So, we decided this story was fictional, and we were okay with her reading it.
  • HaileysMom07180
    September 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM

they are great books.  i see no problem in it, i think it would make a great government book.  if you want to, read them with your son, then that way if he has any questions that you don't want him asking the teacher you can talk to him. 

• maxswolfsuit
    Max
    September 15, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I would let my child read them. But I won't give them to students without parent permission. I think they're great for a mature fifth grade student. But the content might not be appropriate for all kids that age. 

I do think it's a really motivational and interesting way to learn about government. 

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    September 15, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I find the premise of the book very disturbing, but I haven't read it.  Max's point about it being a good way to learn about gov't is interesting - I might need to read it with that in mind.

Not looking forward to having to make these types of decisions.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    September 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Did any of you read that short story about the village that did a lottery every year & killed someone from their village?  Each man selected a stone & whomever got the one with the red dot, their family did a second drawing & whomever got the red dot stone was stoned to death by everyone else.

I don't remember the name of the story or who wrote it or any class discussion when we read it in 9th grade.  All I remember is being very disturbed by the story.  It still really bothers me almost 30 years later.

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    September 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I remember reading that, but I think I was in college. It's The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson.

Quoting GwenMB:

Did any of you read that short story about the village that did a lottery every year & killed someone from their village?  Each man selected a stone & whomever got the one with the red dot, their family did a second drawing & whomever got the red dot stone was stoned to death by everyone else.

I don't remember the name of the story or who wrote it or any class discussion when we read it in 9th grade.  All I remember is being very disturbed by the story.  It still really bothers me almost 30 years later.

• GwenMB
    by GwenMB
    September 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Yeah I read it again in college.

Quoting wakymom:

I remember reading that, but I think I was in college. It's The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson.

Quoting GwenMB:

• A_McCool
    September 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I've read them, and I think it would be fine for a 5th grader.  And it would be a very good way to learn about government and revolutions as that is what the books are ultimately about.

In the books, there were 13 districts in Panem.  The 13th district rebelled against the capitol, and the district was ultimately destroyed (at least that is what the other 12 districts were told).  The hunger games are held each year to remind the remaining 12 districts of the consequences of rebellion.  So, the series is perfect for a discussion of government.

Quoting GwenMB:

I find the premise of the book very disturbing, but I haven't read it.  Max's point about it being a good way to learn about gov't is interesting - I might need to read it with that in mind.

Not looking forward to having to make these types of decisions.

• CrazedMomof2
    September 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    I read them. I did not let my daughter read them last year. (4th) but probably will let her this year if she asks again.
  • maxswolfsuit
    Max
    September 15, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Quoting GwenMB:

It's call "The Lottery" I read it 7th grade. It is disturbing. But like The Hunger Games, it's the premise that's disturbing. There's no graphic description of the violence. 

Elementary School Kids

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts