MrsB2007
Head games my son plays.
October 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM

My 5 year old is turning six, but he is in 1st grade. I feel like he is trying to play head games when it comes to homework. Some days he acts like he does not know what I am saying, how to read, or how to solve a problem. Then there are days that he knows what I am saying and how to spell or read. What are some of your suggestions?

Replies

• steelcrazy
    October 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Do you watch him do his homework?  Maybe he is doing it to get out of doing the work.  IDK, I've always had my boys do their homework in their bedrooms where it is quieter and there are less distractions.  They obviously can ask me questions if they have them.  I've found this to work better than standing over them while they do it.

• MrsB2007
    October 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM

We do homework in the kitchen area, television off. I don't do it in their room or let them until I feel like they are putting in more effort. I do stand over them and check their homework after they are done. I try to make it so that I am helping but not doing their homework. He likes to ask me is "such and such" the right answer and I tell him to tell me is it the right answer. The only time he does any kind of work in his room is when it is just a learning item to do on his own. I think he does it on purpose but, then I think that sometimes his brain just shuts down on him. LOL!!

• bamababe1975
    October 12, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Do homework in the kitchen with the TV off and remind him that once he has finished his work, he can go play. That should help give him some incentive to focus on the task at hand so he can get to the reward. :)

• PandTsmomjuly
    October 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM

My dd does this for the first week of school every year.

I refuse to even help her now bc I know she's smart enough and old enough to do it herself. I won't even check it bc if I do, she will purposely get them wrong and try to con me into giving her the right answer so she doesn't have to think.

• wakymom
    by wakymom
    October 12, 2011 at 10:29 AM

When my younger 2 try to pull that, it's b/c they don't want to do the work. I just tell them, "You know how to do this. Just do it so you can go back to playing." They sulk, I stand firm, and they do the work. 

Now, w/ ds1, since he's in 7th gr, there is a chance he really doesn't know something, so I'm more willing to help him, but he usually just grumbles, "This is stupid!" and does it anyway.

• m-mota
    by m-mota
    October 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    My dd has been like that since kinder.I door to her teacher asked her how long should her homework take. Th longest should be 1hr. If she is a slow worker. Also every piece oh homework is reviewed before she sends it home so if she doesn't get something she could ask. Talk to your sons teacher let her know what's going on home. They can help you.
  • Jenny678
    October 12, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Maybe the room or time of day don't work for him. My 5 year old is so tired after school, we now do homework in the morning. I put a mini chocolate chip or two on the worksheet and tell them when they get to the end of that section they can eat the chip. Having the reward right in front of them helps them to make an effort.

• MomVsBoys
    October 12, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I think that at that age (ds2 turned 6 last week) it's just like some days they 'forget' how to get dressed, they want to be a big kid but are still wanting to be little. Ds was doing that quite a bit this year and had decided he really didn't need to know how to read or do math, I reminded him of all the things he'd never get to do, if you want to drive a bigtruck like Dad, you have to read maps, road signs, instructions, Dad has to figure out how much a load will cost, how far it has to go, how much fuel will be, but if you don"t want to learn...It  took a couple tries but he's doing much better - he still hates putting in his socks :)

• skittles2011
    October 12, 2011 at 8:11 PM

my son is also 6 and in the first grade. i  have him do his homework in the kitchen alone, then i check it once hes done. it seems the more i would "help" the more he resisted it, so i just let him do it on his own and havent had any problems sine then.

• MrsB2007
    October 31, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I guess I am trying to be as helpful as i can without him taking advantage, but sometimes i have to do that to him as well. to include, I have a 4 year old who is a loud talker and sometimes that can complicate things. LOL!