Under 40 and dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis

roseredinbak
Waiting on meds
November 17, 2008 at 11:49 AM

So my dr. prescribed sulfasalazine and I did not do well at all... Craziest thing, my lungs hurt sooo bad!  I have never experienced anything like it before.  I have had pneumonia twice and that was nothing compared to this pain.  I felt every inch of my lungs, from top to bottom front to back, yet I had no shortness of breath or coughing, just pain.  Not to mention what it did to my stomach.

So I got a new prescription for metathrexate.  I am worried about taking it now right before the holidays.  I don't want to deal with a bunch of side affects, and from what I have heard it takes a while to kick in so I wouldnt even feel the benefits.  It's hard enough being a single mother who works full time.  I don't want to be knocked down completely and not be able to give my girls the holiday they deserve.

Thoughts anyone???

Replies

• jeninjuice
    November 30, 2008 at 12:29 PM

are you prescribed anything for the pain?

• loveingmybabies
    December 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM

Hi,Im srry to hear about your pain. I have heard about some shots that you only take once in awhile. One of them you take like once a year,and the other is like once a month.Im sorry I cant tell you the names,I only saw them in a commerical and was not able to write down the info.I am planning on asking my Doc about it when I finally see him again. Best wishes to you and your beautiful girlschristmas tree

• bafwabalinga
    December 1, 2008 at 12:16 PM

I'm pretty sure those are for osteoarthritis, and help prevent bone loss in ppl over 50....there is a cortisone shot that you can sometimes get to help with the pain...I had it done once, and it was very helpful... I'm not sure about the meds, I'll keep an ear out for those commercials...It would be nice to be on something once a month that worked as well as the daily medicine!

Quoting loveingmybabies:

Hi,Im srry to hear about your pain. I have heard about some shots that you only take once in awhile. One of them you take like once a year,and the other is like once a month.Im sorry I cant tell you the names,I only saw them in a commerical and was not able to write down the info.I am planning on asking my Doc about it when I finally see him again. Best wishes to you and your beautiful girlschristmas tree

• roseredinbak
    December 2, 2008 at 11:30 AM

I was on vicodin and ultram until two weeks ago.  I get worried about becoming addicted so from time to time I stop taking them for a few weeks to see how I feel.  As long as I only hurt and don't feel like I "need" them, I will refill my prescription.  So the pain has been pretty bad the last few days and I am calling it in today. 

I have had several cortisone shots before I knew I had RA.  A few years ago I had a flare in my feet and could hardly walk.  My doctor told me I had gout, which took away ALL my favorite foods.  I would beg him for injections in my big toe joint.  It was the only way I could function to go to work.  They really helped with the localized pain.  But the first time I went in to my Rheumatologist she gave me a cortisone shot in the arm.  I didn't notice much help, but I was in a pretty bad flare in several joints at the time,

Thanks for the replies :)

Under 40 and dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis