Under 40 and dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis

roseredinbak
Newbie here!
November 11, 2008 at 2:58 PM

Hi all, my name is Rosie.  I will be 32 this month and was just diagnosed with RA about a month ago.  I have two daughters, ages 7 and 4 and I am a single mom. 

I have been dealing with the pain in my joints for years, was told I have gout at one point, tendonitits, bursitis... you name it...  and then since nothing came up on blood tests, I was told some people's joints just hurt....  I spent five years believing that, even though I was in horrible pain every day.   Recently I had an MRI done on my spine for a ruptured disc I have and the sciatica pain I also deal with.  My doctor asked me if I had ever seen a rheumatologist and I told him no.  He said I have damage all up and down my spine, so he gave me a referral.  My rheumatologist did all the blood tests but also took xrays of my hands and feet.  These showed joint damage as well. 

This was kind of a vindication for me....  I had started to feel crazy almost!!!  I thought, man I don't see anyone else my age going through the pain I go through....  except for my cousin that is, who has EVERY SINGLE symptom that I do...   I mean I hurt somewhere ALL the time...  I started to wonder if I just feel pain worse than other people...  I even began to wonder if it was all in my head!! lol  So when they finally put a name to it, it half way made me feel better, but the other half of me is horrified to think that this is never going away, and I could be deformed someday!!!!  

The dr. put me on sulfasalazine, but I found out really quick I was allergic to that.  Now she prescribed me something that starts with Meta or Metha.  I haven't picked up the prescription yet cause I have had a cold and couldn't start it while sick.

My question to everyone is this.  Do the meds help? I mean really help the pain?  How long did it take to give some kind of relief?  And has anyone progressed into visibly while on meds???

I am so glad there are other people out there that I can talk to and they know exactly what I am going through!

Replies

• jeninjuice
    November 12, 2008 at 11:48 AM

hi rose!

your dr might have given you methotrexate, and to be honest, I didn't have the best time while it took. It takes like 6 weeks to see results , and I started it at the beginning of this year. I took me 6 months to start seeing some relief. I still hurt somewhere all the time, as you put it, but I can at least get myself dressed and ready...which is a vast improvement. It did take a while, but you will see better days.

welcome to the group! check back with us gals, as we put up new info and new posts. also, I suggest you read the article on the potential cure, very promising news.

take care!

• roseredinbak
    November 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for the welcome!  Yeah that is the name of the medication she gave me.  I sure hope it helps... WOW six months????  do all medications take that long I wonder??  Well my other dr. put me on tramadol and that does take the edge off the pain at least.  I just hope that this other medication will even stop it from happening...  I read that article on the cure... man that would be awesome!!!  And I'm sure insurace companies would pay for it considering the costs of treating someone over their lifetime...  I hope it works and they get it out to us soon!!!

• jeninjuice
    November 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM

I know, I want the cure NOW. I have no patience. but, for me, the right combo of methotrexate with prednisone is what took so long to figure out, so ya, it took a loooong time. plus I had a newborn, whew! but, my experience did bring me closer to Jesus, so I do have something good that came out of that whole thing.

• Rachel0116
    January 14, 2013 at 5:21 AM
    Hi sweetie! I too am 32 and was misdiagnosed as a teen. I started having symptoms when i was 18 and was officially diagnosed with ra at 26. I too have sever joint damage and am allergic to a long list of meds to include anti-inflammatory, steroids, and otc NSAIDS. So, needless to say i fight a losing battle. I take methotraxate (1ml self injected subq weekly) & i do rituxan infusions. So far i have seen no relief and have had to get cortisone shots to function. I hope your luck is better than mine. I can understand being in constant pain. I never have relief. Ive had to rely on my family to help w/ simple tasks. RA has a way of making you a humble person and appreciating little accomplishments!

Under 40 and dealing with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN