HYPOthyroidism

mommaof3babes15
Hoshimotos Hypothyroidism and disability?
May 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Has anyone heard of going on disability for this?

I was complaining to a friend how bad its been for me lately. I just always feel worse and not better. I lost my job after surgery for my gall bladder b/c i just didnt heal fast enough. No doctor really seemed to care, my boss flipped out on me and 3 months later Im still not completely healed. I kept getting infections over and over and the wounds just wouldnt close up :/

Anyway my friend asked why I havent tried to get disabilty benefits. I know nothing about disability and never thought myslef to have one. I just keep waiting to feel better.

Has anyone done this or heard of this??

Replies

• kjbugsmom1517
    May 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    Heard of it yes done it no. Hypothyroid def messes u up. If ur symptomatic enough ur dr can help u get it. Hypothyroid freaking sucks a big one. I havent tried working since i was dx'd since im a sahm so i dunno how id feel if i worked. But it does count as a disability.
  • Supervane
    July 16, 2012 at 1:50 AM

It doesnt sound like it would be something that easily done.

• EvilAsh
    by EvilAsh
    February 4, 2013 at 10:41 AM

No. I can't see how it would be a disability honestly. I have been extremely hypo for a long time, it's finally getting a bit better after years of treatment. I don't really think docs would recommend disability for a thyroid disorder. That's my opinion though.

• Meg_the_Mermaid
    March 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I've heard of it, but I have heard it's EXTREMELY hard to get disability for that alone (the cases I have heard of, the women had multiple autoimmune diseases and were literally unable to function well or at all). It's hard enough to get disability for people who have very serious disabilities, you know? Then again, you never know...my cousin's husband is on disability, collects SSDI and he's "just" bipolar. He's stable on meds and is 100% fully capable of working...he just doesn't want to. He did get denied the first time he applied, but he got his money in under two years of trying. 

Look into it and I'm sure getting a lawyer who specializes in disability would help. 

HYPOthyroidism

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts