Home Decor and So Much More!

Colter
color scheme for a room with a red brick fireplace
by Colter
January 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM

We are moving into a house that has a red brick fireplace in the family room area.  We had to sell our major furnishings when we moved here, so I will be purchasing a couch, curtains, etc.... I am not sure what color schemes whould go with red brick.   All the photos I have seen so far are using monochromatic browns.  I do love the earth tones, but I want more color than just browns.  Right now the walls are white (but I don't mind painting) and the carpet is a very light grey (almost white).  Any ideas of what color scheme might look nice?  

Replies

• Rushn311
    January 29, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I love black furniture. And a cream or brown couch would look nice. Even go with red.

• blondepegasus
    January 29, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I love black furniture too. One of the great things about it is that any color goes with it wonderfully. Here is my living room with black and brick red/crimson accent color.It would work great with brown too. Are you thinking about painting the brick fireplace? If you truly have difficulty making it work, painting it is allowed!

• RobinMarie
    January 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

My fireplace was red brick and I painted it white....

• pristine729
    February 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    I would paint the fireplace...
  • Mommyof2114
    February 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    I love the coffee colors
  • tnlizard
    February 5, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Is the fireplace a eye sore?  If not I'd leave it red brick...

I have a red brick one in my living-room, and I've never really though about matching decor with it....I have hardwood floors, burgundy oriental rug, sage green and burgandy in my couch & love seat.. a taupe side chair..and wood tables...with decorator rods with sage green scarves and wooden blinds...I need to post a picture...the description sounds a bit busy. 

• not-the-momma
    February 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I would also consider painting the fireplace.  My old house had a red brink fireplace and no matter what I did to the room it always looked drab.  If I knew then that I could paint it I would've.  You don't even need to paint it white, you can do gray or any other color you like.

• JoshuasMommii
    February 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM
    We drywalled and tiled our red fireplace :)
  • enafaye
    by enafaye
    February 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

We have a whole wall of red brick. It has black mortar.  We have had many color changes thru the years, but started with grey, then had white and stencils in blue, then a gold and tan w green, now it is tan and we have a dark red with it.  I guess you have to go with what you like.  We have lived here for over 40 yrs. and I love my fireplace.

Home Decor and So Much More!