Home Decor and So Much More!

victoriaherring
Help me decorate my living room - Pics
November 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I need help with my living room! Its so boring. We bought new sofas 2-3 years ago. At that time I was pregnant an going for comfort all the way. Since then my style has changed. I still love our sofas, they are a great brand and have an amazing warrenty, they are just so big and masculine IMO.. But they were so expensive I just need to work with what I've got right now. I'll show you a pic of the sofas from the store's website

Its a lighter brown in person.. We've got the sofa and loveseat. (havertys)

We've also got an entertainment center that is just big enough for our 42inch tv.. It has two drawers and a space for the directv box.. Its a nice piece of furniture.. Just not my style anymore either.. I tried to find a picture of it on the brand's website (bassett) but I don't believe they carry it anymore and don't really have anything similar.

I know what style is its just really hard to decorate sometimes when you don't have any extra money and you can't paint (Our walls are an off-white/tan color) or make any big changes. We live in base housing... Here's What I like

Sorry for the small pics.. 

So my question is how can I get the look I want without completely overhauling my living room? Is it even possible?

Oh and if it helps, here is our floor plan...

I couldn't figure out how else to post it without taking a pic of a pic online... lol.. But our biggest sofa is up against the bar in the kitchen facing the window (which I hate, but its the only way it fits), our loveseat is right over where the "G" in great room is facing the wall on the right.. Our entertainment center  is in the corner by the window facing both sofas.. Behind the love seat, left of the G, is a little area we set up for our daughter to play.. 

Replies

• sweetleanne
    November 16, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Very interesting question considering I have had 7 sofa sets since being on my own. If you have family, it is always nice to offer to them. (I found it hard to sell sofa's.) One I cut up, and tried to make it smaller. I ended up trashing it. I ended up with a sectional and it's working. It took a lot of research to get  a small one that fit the space. How do you like your love seat ? Maybe you could change out the large sofa for another love seat, or two chairs instead.

• victoriaherring
    November 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM
    At this point the only choices we have are to either keep it or sell it. We just bought it a couple of years bag and paid almost $2,000 for the set. The quality is definitely amazing, just not my style. I think we are just going to figure out a way to make it work :( later in a new house we can make a big change.. The layout of this house is part of the problem I think... Both sofas just get so cramped.

Quoting sweetleanne:

Very interesting question considering I have had 7 sofa sets since being on my own. If you have family, it is always nice to offer to them. (I found it hard to sell sofa's.) One I cut up, and tried to make it smaller. I ended up trashing it. I ended up with a sectional and it's working. It took a lot of research to get  a small one that fit the space. How do you like your love seat ? Maybe you could change out the large sofa for another love seat, or two chairs instead.

• Rushn311
    November 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM

If you can't change the paint on the walls, it's best to maybe cover up your current sofa. Get a rug, get some throw pillows, art work on the walls, candles etc to tie  it all together

• SamMom912
    November 16, 2012 at 5:15 PM

It is a hard room cause of the damn door placement. LOL... it just cuts the room up poorly.

• ria7
    by ria7
    November 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Why not just add color to end tables, coffee table and other accent pieces? You could paint some end tables a fun blue/ turquoise and add throw pillows to couch. Add curtains.. Your brown couches would pair good with the blues and oranges you pointed out. I would get mostly solids and a few zigzaggy wacky prints.
  • victoriaherring
    November 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Yeah, that's how we have the room now except the sofa and loveseat are swapped because our sofa is too long to really go anywhere else. And yeah it is a really hard room to layout. I think I'll just add some color and try to leave the layout as is. I have one of those 3x3 cube things I may bring downstairs and put on that blank wall between the tv and sofa.

Quoting SamMom912:

It is a hard room cause of the damn door placement. LOL... it just cuts the room up poorly.

• victoriaherring
    November 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM
    I think this will be what I do. I think I may look at some thrift stores for some better end tables.

Quoting ria7:

Why not just add color to end tables, coffee table and other accent pieces? You could paint some end tables a fun blue/ turquoise and add throw pillows to couch. Add curtains.. Your brown couches would pair good with the blues and oranges you pointed out. I would get mostly solids and a few zigzaggy wacky prints.
  • sweetleanne
    November 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I like the way SamMom was going with it, but maybe something like this:

• victoriaherring
    November 16, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    I like all 3 of those, but when I tried them before it just didn't work because of how bulky the sofas are. I need to take a pic if the room so you guys can get a better idea of how it looks.

Quoting sweetleanne:

I like the way SamMom was going with it, but maybe something like this:

• SamMom912
    November 16, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I think the 12'3 is what we are forgetting... A couch is usually 8 ft.... That only leaves 3' for door opening... So yeah, i guess the couch doesnt fit lengthwise.... 

Could you ke the layout.. Maybe buy a peice of fabric and use it on the wall for color? Like wallpaper? Lol

I would think a bold pattern with the color if your couch would be super pretty! 

Home Decor and So Much More!

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts