Home Decor and So Much More!

not-the-momma
Bathroom vanity lighting
September 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I'm hoping you ladies can help me out.

We are redoing our master bathroom (in stages) and I'd like to replace the tiny medicine cabinet that is above our oversized vanity with a wide pivot mirror like this (see pic below).  The only problem is, our vanity isn't as large as the one in the pic and there won't be enough room on each side for the sconces.  I will have to put lights above the mirror, but can't decide what kind. We are going for a look similar to the one in the pic.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Replies

• Rushn311
    September 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM

This might be too small to go above pivoted mirror but I liked it....

• not-the-momma
    September 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I think I would need at least 3 or 4 lights over that wide a mirror (it's about 40")

I also thought I would need something that extended out a little because the mirror tilts and I'd want to make sure the light didn't get blocked.

What about something like this?  I'm still not crazy about it.

• Rushn311
    September 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

OOO I like those!!! Yeah, I didn't know the actual size of the mirror.

• patnic
    by patnic
    September 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Here is my biggest piece of advice.  And let me tell you, I am one picky person, but maybe you aren't.  I wish my interior decorator would have told me this - I need to find one that is as picky as I am.

I have lights above my mirror.  I don't like the lights we picked out, because when I look up, I see the lightbulbs, the mechanism that holds the lightbulb, etc.    I would love the lighting I have if I looked at them straight on, but not high up.

• ILive4This
    September 17, 2012 at 9:27 AM

an extra long light bar...with like 6 lights...or you could do a couple pendants??

(just an example, not my fave)

5-Light Brushed Nickel Bathroom Vanity Light

• SamMom912
    September 18, 2012 at 5:58 PM

My friend is an interior designer. When we were redoing our master bath I asked her about over vanity lighting.. thought her blog might be helpful to you to read:

http://christinekeatingdesign.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall/

It is more about mirrors, but it is a lot about balance, lighting and vanitys...

Thats my bathroom at the bottom and the light fixtures we chose. I REALLY do like them.. and I didnt have room on each side for sconces. I like the down light on the fixtures...

Instead of a square tilt mirror, would you consider an oval?

• not-the-momma
    October 4, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I agree with you and had considered putting the lights that face up in our powder room.  The toilet is directly across from the pedestal sink and when you sit you are staring directly up at the light bulbs.  Ugly.  I decided to go with the globe type in there.

As for my master bath, the toilet is to the right of the vanity so the only time you see the bulbs are when you are standing at the sink and they don't seem to bother me as much because I guessing I am looking at them from a higher vantage point.  That being said, if I do look up I really don't want to stare directly into the light either but it's less annoying.  

Quoting patnic:

Here is my biggest piece of advice.  And let me tell you, I am one picky person, but maybe you aren't.  I wish my interior decorator would have told me this - I need to find one that is as picky as I am.

I have lights above my mirror.  I don't like the lights we picked out, because when I look up, I see the lightbulbs, the mechanism that holds the lightbulb, etc.    I would love the lighting I have if I looked at them straight on, but not high up.

• not-the-momma
    October 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I've looked at this one as well, but something about having all that nickel on the wall bothers me.  I like the fixtures that have a smaller wall mount with a bar connecting the individual lights.

I'm not opposed to a two or three individual pendants.  I'd have to see what that looks like though.

Quoting ILive4This:

an extra long light bar...with like 6 lights...or you could do a couple pendants??

(just an example, not my fave)

5-Light Brushed Nickel Bathroom Vanity Light

• not-the-momma
    October 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Very helpful blog.  The only thing that concerns me is that our sink is off to the left of the vanity (not centered) so I would think that the mirror would have to extend over the sink area, don't you agree?  (I finally have a picture to attach so maybe that will help)

Quoting SamMom912:

My friend is an interior designer. When we were redoing our master bath I asked her about over vanity lighting.. thought her blog might be helpful to you to read:

http://christinekeatingdesign.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/mirror-mirror-on-the-wall/

It is more about mirrors, but it is a lot about balance, lighting and vanitys...

Thats my bathroom at the bottom and the light fixtures we chose. I REALLY do like them.. and I didnt have room on each side for sconces. I like the down light on the fixtures...

Instead of a square tilt mirror, would you consider an oval?

• SamMom912
    October 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yes.. I think the mirror needs to extend over.... you're right.

Home Decor and So Much More!