Featured Posts
metalmomma25
Why do people hate disabled people so much?
October 18, 2008 at 4:10 PM

I have noticed that a lot of people in cyber world or in real life hate disabled people. I hear form these people that "most" disabled people are just "lazy", "faking it", "don't want to work", whiners" etc and I almost always hear that disabled people should "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Not every disabled person can "just get a job" or "find some sort of work".

Why do you suppose people have such a strong dislike for disabled people? Do you thi9nk it has to do with the mentality or survival of the fittest?

Replies

• AnitaVersion2.0
    October 18, 2008 at 4:11 PM

Okay, that is just ridiculous.  I don't know of anyone who thinks that about ACTUALLY disabled people.

• metalmomma25
    October 18, 2008 at 4:12 PM

see, but just your answer indicates that you think you have a right to decided who is "acually" disabled and tells me that you don't like disbaled people. I am just wondering why that is.

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

Okay, that is just ridiculous.  I don't know of anyone who thinks that about ACTUALLY disabled people.

• heartsandskulls
    October 18, 2008 at 4:13 PM

alot of it comes from people being ignorant and afraid of someone/something they dont know anything about

• mommaof4babes
    October 18, 2008 at 4:14 PM

I think it depends.  I work for the mentally challenged and they are just that, disabled.  Then you do have those people that do fake it.  I knew someone who was faking to get SS and in the process was getting prescribed Oxycontin for his "bad back" and selling those for even more money.  I don't judge people unless I know for sure though.  Some people have ruined it for the rest of them though!!!! 

Then you have people like my DH whose back is really bad and won't say anything for fear of not being able to work.

• mommy2tristan42
    October 18, 2008 at 4:15 PM

My husband is currently disabled and we got so much crap from my side of the family.. that he should get over it & work to provide for his family.. So I know where you are coming from. It's sick.

• gretchendawn
    October 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM

AS CRAZY AS THIS IS GOING TO SOUND, I THINK SOME PEOPLE ARE JEALOUS BECAUSE DISABLED PEOPLE STAY HOME! I THINK THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE THE MIND SET THAT IF THEY CAN GO OUT AND WORK THROUGH THINGS THAT MAY BE AILING THEM THEN EVERYONE SHOULD!

• MaddiesMommy49
    October 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM

thats not fair for you to jump to conclusions. nothing about her answer indicates that she doesnt like disabled people.

Quoting metalmomma25:

see, but just your answer indicates that you think you have a right to decided who is "acually" disabled and tells me that you don't like disbaled people. I am just wondering why that is.

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

• blueyedalls
    October 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

People seem to think that if they can not "see" a disability then they are not "really" disabled. I have a friend that has sever PTSD and OCD and a shoulder injury. He is 100% unemployable. 100% disabled but to talk with him or see him ont he street you would never know. Many people think he is "faking it" but they did not see him before treatment or meds.

• cehendricks
    October 18, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I don't know of anyone that is of that opinion. About Anita Version2.0's answer, that is not what I get at all from it. I think that she is saying that there are people that are not disabled and want sympathy or attention. My ex-step mother was like this huge hypochondriac.

Quoting metalmomma25:

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

• metalmomma25
    October 18, 2008 at 4:18 PM

sure it does. It not fair for her to say "acually" disabled either. How does she know who is "accually" disabled? Many people have no outward signs that they are disabled like mental illness for one or a chronic desease such as fibromyaligia.

Quoting MaddiesMommy49:

thats not fair for you to jump to conclusions. nothing about her answer indicates that she doesnt like disabled people.

Quoting metalmomma25:

Quoting AnitaVersion2.0:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts