The Cafe

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Is 12 too young for dyed hair?
by Anonymous
November 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

My daughter has been begging to dye hair, something like this:

Anyway, I've seen other kids at the school with this ombre style, but the colored portion may be purple, blue, green, or other colors besides the pink shown here, and I think it looks cute. It's not against the school's dress code or anything, either, so I'm willing to let her but my husband says she's too young. Do you think 12 is too young? She'll be 13 next month.

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    November 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

One of my daughter's friends regularly dyes her hair and she's 10. I, personally, have asked my daughter to wait until she is 16 to use any kind of permanent dye. I just don't want her to start down that road of damage at such a young age.

• Brenna
    by Brenna
    November 14, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I have sons, but my policy is that they can do whatever they want with their hair as long  as it's not insane for school pictures.  Hair grows out, goes back to it's "natural" color.  No big deal.  It's ok for their self-expression.  Much rather them do that than get something piereced or tattoed.  :)

• Bellmont
    November 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I would not want them to damage their hair at that age

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    November 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Most hair dyes contain dangerous chemicals. That would be my concern.

If it were henna or soemthing organic, then no problem.

1. Hair Dyes and Cancer Risk - National Cancer Institute

www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/hair-dyes
      Although some studies have linked the personal use of hair dyes with increased risksof certain cancers of the blood and bone marrow, such as non-Hodgkin ...
    2. Hair Dyes - American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org › ... › Other Carcinogens › In the Workplace
      Feb 17, 2011 - You may have heard rumors about a link between using hair dye and ...to these organizations to evaluate the risks based on evidence from ...
    3. Alert for women on cancer dangers in hair dye | Mail Online

www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-110050/
      Fears over the safety of hair dyes intensified after a European Commission watchdog withdrew support for the products.
    4. Dangers of Hair Dye - Advanced Natural Medicine

www.advancednaturalmedicine.com/hair.../dangers-of-hair-dye.html
      New research shows that the repeated use of hair dye can significantly increase your risk for developing a deadly form of cancer. Try a natural hair dye option.
    5. The hair dye/cancer connection - NYR Natural News

www.nyrnaturalnews.com › Articles › Health Tips
      Feb 20, 2013 - A recent newspaper article proclaimed that hair dyes are a cancer risk.... those colourants that were eventually deemed dangerous and taken ...
  • momwriter
    November 14, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    I think id allow it. Hair grows out so it doesn't have to be forever. I only have boys though.
  • somemore83
    November 14, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Not too young my mom started dying my hair at about nine or ten, I looked way better blonde lol.

• TSNDDY
    by TSNDDY
    November 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM
    I started dying my hair when I was 12, I don't think it's too young
  • ashleynm85
    November 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM

No way!!  Let them get it out of their systems before they enter the working and professional world!!!  I was never allowed to dye my hair until I moved out.

• ZamilyMom
    November 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I don't think she's too young to dye her hair as long as she doesn't use a permanent dye.  But as she's going to officially be a teenager next month, maybe you could use the hair color to make a big deal of the occasion.  Have a mother/daughter thing to celebrate her being a teenager and dye it then.  It will be a "rite of passage of sorts.

• Morningday
    November 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    I dyed my hair at 15

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts