Featured Posts
Anonymous
offensive?
by Anonymous
November 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I have seen a lot lately about how religion or anything that mentions Jesus or God as "offensive". 

Why is it ok for others to be offended with other subject matter?

for example - note these are EXAMPLES do not take personally:

I am offended by the fact the schools think it is ok to give my 12 year old a condom when I am trying to teach her abstinence.

I am offended by the use of drugs and legalizing it. 

I am offended by swearing.

Why are these examples (there are more) ok with society but something that teaches morals and being good to each other offensive? 

Just a question of curiosity and not meant to offend anyone - because you know you can't speak your mind about anything without offending someone. 

EDIT - based on converstations I think my post is worded wrong.  My questions is general society.  They ban religion but ok gay marriage, etc.  Why is it ok to tolerate drug use (pot is legal in my state), or tolerate homozexual behavior, but they won't tolerate if my dd wants to pray to God on her own out loud in school? 

I don't know if i am wording this post correctly to go in the direction I am looking for it to go in or to get an understanding of our society.

Replies

• momofthem311
    November 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM
    I don't get offended by religious stuff, I just think it's ridiculous to equate morals and good deeds with religion. Have ya read the bible?
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    November 3, 2013 at 5:28 PM

very much so, I go into studies iwth it and look at it VERY closely. 

My questions is kinda general I think.  I guess I just don't understand why some good things are offensive and bad things are not.  It seems like the world is backwards these days. 

For example, do you think it is morally ok for a 12 year old to have sex, or do you think it is moral to wait until marriage? 

Quoting momofthem311:

I don't get offended by religious stuff, I just think it's ridiculous to equate morals and good deeds with religion. Have ya read the bible?

• MajikMcGuffin
    November 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I believe being offended is a choice. We choose what offends us and what doesn't. I choose not to be offended the majority of times about the majority of things.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    November 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    Agree

Quoting MajikMcGuffin:

I believe being offended is a choice. We choose what offends us and what doesn't. I choose not to be offended the majority of times about the majority of things.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    November 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Aren't you worried about your kids grwoing up at all?  Or do you just not care and let them do whatever they choose? 

Quoting MajikMcGuffin:

• MajikMcGuffin
    November 3, 2013 at 5:44 PM

What I choose to be offended by has nothing to do with what I allow my child to do or not do.  Not when he was little, not at 16, and probably not at any other age. How  does someone choosing to be offended by a tshirt, a religious practice, or whatever affect what they allow their children to do or not?   

You don't have to be offended by something in order to know it's in bad taste, a bad idea, dangerous, or just plain  stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Aren't you worried about your kids grwoing up at all?  Or do you just not care and let them do whatever they choose? 

Quoting MajikMcGuffin:

• momofthem311
    November 3, 2013 at 5:46 PM
    Sex before marriage is a choice and in my opinion not morally wrong. Sex as a child, a 12 yr old as per your example, is disgusting and not right.
    Morality is about doing good things, not "right" things, if that makes any sense. Right is subjective. It made sense when I had the thought in my head, not sure if it translates in written words.

Quoting Anonymous:

very much so, I go into studies iwth it and look at it VERY closely. 

My questions is kinda general I think.  I guess I just don't understand why some good things are offensive and bad things are not.  It seems like the world is backwards these days. 

For example, do you think it is morally ok for a 12 year old to have sex, or do you think it is moral to wait until marriage? 

Quoting momofthem311:

• 1frog
    by 1frog
    November 3, 2013 at 6:16 PM

The word offended is vastly overused, and used incorrectly a lot of the time. That offends me.

• cindilou13
    November 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Many people are offended by many things, and the very definition of any particular moral is swayed by opinion, and everyone has a different opinion based on their own experiences or what they were taught.  So society can't always go by what is moral, since not everyone has the same opinion.  Things have to be done by what makes sense and what is the most fair, as well as hopefully protects/benefits the most people.  As individuals, we all have the choice of how we react to things as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. 

Try looking at it not using the work 'offended' but 'opressed'.  You may not like the use of pot, or gay marriage, but that is your opinion, and you are offended by those things, but they do not oppress you personally.  You have the choice on deciding how you will handle them and react to them.   Religion dictates not just 'being good to each other', but is also judgemental and opressive-to other religious groups, to people that don't ahere to it's teachings, etc., and it teaches it's followers to both feel/act in the same manner, and also most religious groups recruit or encourage people to join and feel/act the same way.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    November 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM

At different times in your journey you will find different things that offend you.

When I was a very young (and pro life) and had small children, I received a pro life flyer in the mail with a graphic depiction of an aborted fetus.  While I am very pro-life, and support the cause, I was offended by the depiction because I wanted to protect my young children from that horror.  My point is that we find offensive what is difficult for us to process.  When we ar able to better processs and define our positions we become less resistant.

I am prolife, but I still do not agree wiht using graphic images to make the pro-life point, mostly because it causes too many to shut down and push back against the idea that life is the better choice.

I am not anti gay, (many people in my life are in same sex relationships) I don't understand the straight people who fight for gay marriage, but don't think marriage is necessary for them.  I wonder why they live with their partners for years, have children together, buy homes and cars together, but don't think it is important to formalize their relationships, but sign petitions and are willing to march for the right to gay marriage.

I could site many more examples, but my answer to your question is that everyone has a right to their values whether the greater society agrees or not, but in order to be respected we must respect the positions of others

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts