Featured Posts
DeLaLi
Adult naps...
by DeLaLi
June 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM

My mother is in her early 50s and she loves taking naps. She techincally lives alone (her parents live downstairs) so she can nap whenever she wants. She doesn't really have a hobby. She just loves to eat and sleep, smh. Now that school is out, she has all this time off and continues to think of food and sleep. She may take a little walk every now and then, but she doesn't really do much. I try to tell her to ease up on the naps and keep moving around, find a hobby, but she swears naps are the best, especially two + hour naps. I feel this is so wrong. I have a one year old and I am a SAHM and feel I rarely need naps, especially THAT long. In school they taught us that if we are to take naps, they should be only about 20-30 minutes (power naps). It is hard for me to fall asleep for a nap anyway.

What are your thoughts on naps as an adult?

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    June 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I am 43 and I rearly take naps. When my body deceides that I need to crash...the naps last about 3 hours.

• hagwestcoast
    June 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

probably a suggestion of power naps would be the fact that you have young children that you are responsible for, hello, I am thinking that is probably what your mom did when she was responsible for you as a young child, but obviously, she must have done fine, 'cause, here you are, all grown, and finding it hard to just let mom be, when you get to be 50, see how you feel about it then, lol, I understand that you think there are better ways she could be spending her time, but, I am thinking she must disagree

• diaperstodating
    June 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    I don't work in the summer, and I like to take naps daily. I am 33.
  • Chirinos
    June 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    I am 35 and I enjoy naps every once in awhile.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    June 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I am around your mom's age and I love taking naps about 3 days a week.

I get up at 5:30 and go to bed at 10:30, rarely sit down all day, usually walk for at least an hour or two and some days when I can I really look forward to my nap (usually about an hour).

Is your mom depressed? Does she sleep well at night? 

You are right that being active is important. I think your mom's lack of activity might be more concerning than the naps. Good for you for being worried about your mom's well-being.

• DeLaLi
    by DeLaLi
    June 28, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    Ok soooo number one, I was told the nap info when I was in college, prior to having a child. Number two, my mom had her mother to take care of me so she never napped. She worked and at that time her job was easier, so I'm sure she didn't really need naps anyway. The thing is although her current job is more demanding, it's more mentally draining than physically. She works close to home (walking distance), and sleeps many hours at night (more than eight on average).

Quoting hagwestcoast:

probably a suggestion of power naps would be the fact that you have young children that you are responsible for, hello, I am thinking that is probably what your mom did when she was responsible for you as a young child, but obviously, she must have done fine, 'cause, here you are, all grown, and finding it hard to just let mom be, when you get to be 50, see how you feel about it then, lol, I understand that you think there are better ways she could be spending her time, but, I am thinking she must disagree

• DeLaLi
    by DeLaLi
    June 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM
    While school is in she'll sleep during weekends since she obviously can't during the week, but she sleeps a lot at night. Her job is more mentally draining than physically. She walks only a few blocks to the school she works at, lol. She will usually nap two + hours, longer than my grandpa that's in is 80s with a heart issue. It's just a bit much imo. I really doubt she's in any way depressed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I get up at 5:30 and go to bed at 10:30, rarely sit down all day, usually walk for at least an hour or two and some days when I can I really look forward to my nap (usually about an hour).

You are right that being active is important. I think your mom's lack of activity might be more concerning than the naps. Good for you for being worried about your mom's well-being.

• vbway
    by vbway
    June 28, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I take a 2 hour nap every Sunday and I sleep in on Saturday until 9:30. I wouldn't take a nap everyday, but I find it helpful to get extra sleep on the weekend. When I don't my week feels like it drags on because I am so tired. I also try to get at least 9 hours of sleep each night. I think everyone needs a different amount of sleep. My dad can't sleep for more than 5 hours per night. I would be a zombie after just one night. 

But I do think it is important for her to stay active. I don't think the naps will hurt her, but I would try to convince her to be more active during her awake time. Maybe she can volunteer a few hours a day somewhere. 

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    June 28, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Quoting DeLaLi:

While school is in she'll sleep during weekends since she obviously can't during the week, but she sleeps a lot at night. Her job is more mentally draining than physically. She walks only a few blocks to the school she works at, lol. She will usually nap two + hours, longer than my grandpa that's in is 80s with a heart issue. It's just a bit much imo. I really doubt she's in any way depressed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Has she been to a doctor lately? Is she on any meds? Does she seem tired during the day?

If she dosn't have any medical conditions to worry about, I'd try and get her to exercise more. Maybe get her to go for a walk with you? Or ride a bike? Exercise is so important for health. Use it or lose it.

Good luck! 

zzz

• DeLaLi
    by DeLaLi
    June 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    Oh well she does have high blood pressure. Then again she doesn't have the biggest eating habits anyway.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting DeLaLi:

Quoting Anonymous:

Has she been to a doctor lately? Is she on any meds? Does she seem tired during the day?

If she dosn't have any medical conditions to worry about, I'd try and get her to exercise more. Maybe get her to go for a walk with you? Or ride a bike? Exercise is so important for health. Use it or lose it.

Good luck! 

zzz

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts