Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Toddlers Are Overdosing on Pot Brownies & Cookies: What are Their Parents Thinking?
June 28, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Toddlers Are Overdosing on Pot Brownies & Cookies: What are Their Parents Thinking?

by Ericka Sóuter

cookieThere are lot of problematic health statistics and rates we expect to rise. Sadly, childhood obesity is a problem that just keeps getting worse and along with that come a myriad of illnesses no child should have to face. But doctors are noticing another disturbing trend. There is an increase in the number of toddlers coming into ERs suffering from a marijuana overdose.

Kids have gotten into their parent's medical marijuana. Now sold in candy, cookies, brownies, and more, presumably the child cannot recognize it's only for mommy or daddy.

Medical staff at the Banner Poison and Drug Center in Phoenix saw 10 cases in all of 2012. But just six months into 2013, they have already seen that many little patients, several as young as 1. Children's Hospital Colorado, another state where medical marijuana is legal, has also seen a dramatic rise on overdoses among children under 12. They come in with symptoms that vary from listless and loopy to actually being comatose. It's frightening -- and not just for the parents.

In many instances, the doctors initially have no idea what the cause is. They will do a myriad of tests in a desperate attempt to figure out the ailment. When that fails, they order a drug scan, something kids typically don't receive.

Doctors say the solution is more secure packaging and warning labels. But honestly, preventing this is the parent's responsibility. Where people are so careful to put other prescription medications high up in medicine cabinet, they seem to be more lax about this drug. That's especially dangerous considering these pot-laced products look just like the snacks kids love and are usually allowed to have. I know a lot of people think marijuana is harmless, but these cases should show that is just not the case when it comes to kids.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO from WFSB 3 Connecticut

Do you think parents are to blame for this?

Replies

• aimesnyc
    June 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

The parents are totally to blame.  These products are medicinal.  So it makes sense that like other medicines, they should be kept out of the reach of children.  I'm all for medicinal marijuana, but these parents are giving it a bad name.

• bzzybeemomof3
    June 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Blame the parents.

If they cant keep it out of reach of the kids, locked away in a drawer in your bedroom or something. Then they should not be allowed to get these things medicinal or not. I mean really. What parent would leave that out and around children to young to understand whats in it.

I cant even say its because the parents are high and careless. I used to smoke pot every day (been a few years) and I still had a head on my shoulders and could care for my kids 100% the same if not even better then when not high. Its just the parents own negligence and nothing more. They should be cut off IMO.

And I have nothing wrong with anyone smoking or vaping or eating pot in any forms, legally or not. Its just some parents who lack common sense. UGH.

• othermom
    June 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

YES the parents are to blame. If they have something like that they need to make sure that it is kept some place that kids can not reach it

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    June 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM
    Wait till it is legal everywhere. Way more of this will happen and worse.
  • EireLass
    June 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Of course it's the parents fault. I'm a med MJ patient. Mine is kept where my grandson can't get it.

• raye-chan
    June 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    That stuff should be kept up and away from children. It's like any other medicine. Yes, the parents are to blame for that.
  • diospira
    June 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Of course it is the parents' responsibility.

My medical cannabis edibles always came with a child-proof package and a warning label to keep them out of reach of children and pets.

Parents need to take the warning seriously and act accordingly.

• hagwestcoast
    June 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

damn straight the parents are to blame, they have minor children, that makes them responsible

• hagwestcoast
    June 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

yeah baby! That's right!

• la_bella_vita
    June 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Of course it's the parents to blame.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!