The Cafe

Featured Posts
KymberleeAnn
Do You Support Affirmative Action?
June 27, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Replies

• MeAndTommyLee
    June 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

No.  It is legalized discrimination.  In addition, I do not feel that such a law is  necessary now due to advances it already created  within the workforce and educational institutions. 

• Rampgirl04
    June 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Absoutely NOT! I agree with MeAndTommyLee on her response that indeed it is Legalized Discrimination but as reverse Discrimination which I wanted to add that part.  Right now especially where I live in a city I see it happening way to often more than it should. If one is of African American race here where I live, well they have it made pretty much. The reason I say this is even jobs where the job is a entry level job, one that you don't even need a H.S. Diploma for it's pretty much given to the black person. Employers use this quota system when it comes to hiring especially here in Wisconsin.

When it comes to jobs those jobs should be given to candadiates with the best qualifications, regardless of race period!!!!!!!

Also, I think it's terrible when and mind you this goes for schools across our whole country and this isn't just for Wisconsin but all states in our good USA who use the Quota system aka Affirmative Action to decide who gets into a certain school(Collage) cause of their race. Hey, look at all these stories of how some Universities chose a black person with totally lower test scores over a White person who passed the enterance exam with flying colors for say.

Affirmative Action has outlived it's time and it's time to throw it in the trash for say.

• Rampgirl04
    June 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

BUMP!

• Rampgirl04
    June 28, 2013 at 6:45 AM

BUMP!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    June 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

NO, it is legalized discrimination just like someone said.  They are not allowed to have quota's but many employers and schools do.  They lie.  The highest grades and other factors should be why kids in college.  Also jobs should be on the best candidate regardless of gender or race. 

Dh has been told he has to hire a woman or minority for a job and he works for one of the worlds largest companies.  They have all kinds of seminars on diversity etc.  White males are discriminated against the most. 

• GertieK
    by GertieK
    June 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

No.  Absolutely not.  It has had a detrimental effect on all people.  Instead of allowing an individual's qualifications, values, and abilities to be the factors that determine how they succeed... the color of their skin is used as the defining factor.  It is also very hypocritical.  People demand not to be judged by the color of their skin - until they need their skin color to get something.  There should be no space to check for "race" when applying for a job or for school.  America has bent over backward to eliminate racism.  While there will always be idiots of all colors, the result has been to go too far in the other direction.  Somehow, though, this seems to be ok - at least to those who were at one time on the receiving end of discrimination.  Now that the pendulum has swung the other way it is suddenly perfectly acceptable.  By lowering our standards in order to accomodate everone, we have weakened everyone.  Our standards should be HIGH for EVERYONE.  We should be raising the bar - not lowering it.  Affirmative action actually implies that darker skin = less capability.  That in and of itself is racist and absolutely incorrect.  Content of character, not color of skin.  Everyone should be encouraged to do their best and work their hardest.  And I want to say that I do not believe there is anything such as "reverse-discrimination".  Discrimination is discrimination - and the color of skin doesn't change the name we apply. 

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts