The Cafe

Anonymous
What an A**HOLE!!!
by Anonymous
February 22, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Dh is so overwhelmed he asked his supervisor for 1 less day every other week and instead he is now up to 4 days every week! He is suppose to work 3 24hr shifts per week. He's currently going to school working 2 days a week, and that requires him to do clinicals. He already has high blood pressure due to stress and he just got done taking a stress test. Thankfully the stress test came back normal but it doesn't make me worry any less.

What erks me the most is his supervisor knows he is struggling in school and he knows about all his medical problems yet instead of helping him succeed he is pushing him towards a heart attack or stroke. I know his supervisor may like working 5 to 7 24hr shifts a week, but he hasn't put over working and being hospitalized because of it together yet. 

There is nothing I can do and no one I can talk to Dh don't need the added stress and he doesn't like others to know his medical problems so there goes talking to my family and friends.

Thanks for listening to my vent any advice could always be helpful.

Replies

• GertieK
    by GertieK
    February 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM

What kind of work does he do?  If it is in EMS (police, fire, med) there should be legal issues with him working that many 24s.  There is supposed to be some down time.  It almost sounds like his supervisor is trying to force him to quit.  JMO

• childofGod995
    February 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

i would ask his doctor what is best for him to do. if it is a case of money, then i would find a way for him to work less hours and maybe you could help out by finding a little job that could make up for the money. if he is working for the money and you do not need that much for bills, then he needs to cut back for sure and learn to enjoy life before it is too late.either that or change jobs or go into retirement earlier than usual unless he is really young.

• hopealways4019
    February 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    Do you work? You probably need to help out financially too.
  • LuckyMom822
    February 23, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Exactly what I was thinking

Quoting GertieK:

What kind of work does he do?  If it is in EMS (police, fire, med) there should be legal issues with him working that many 24s.  There is supposed to be some down time.  It almost sounds like his supervisor is trying to force him to quit.  JMO

• marchantmom06
    February 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    So working two days a week is to much for him? Sounds like he needs a different career.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    February 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM

He is an EMT working on becoming a Medic. We found out there is a loophole in the law and as long as his company provides sleeping quarters there isn't any limit on how many hours they can be scheduled. He don't get paid for a whole 24 hours, only 16 hours, but if he gets called out during unpaid hours he gets paid for it. The supervisor does this to everyone instead of hiring more help he drains the help he has including himself.

Quoting GertieK:

• Anonymous
    February 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I do all the work at home. We have talked about me getting a job but it isn't possible at his current place of employment.

Quoting hopealways4019:

Do you work? You probably need to help out financially too.

• Anonymous
    February 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Dh is only 30 he nowhere near close to retirement. We struggle making ends meet with the money he gets, and at his current job location its next to impossible for me to get a job. Let me explain that: Dh's supervisor is extremely overworked and it reflects on the schedule. He makes the schedule the day before it starts, he doesn't always give days requested off and he will schedule dh on days he has class. We can't guarantee dh will have the days off I am scheduled to work, we only have 1 car and no sitter for our son.

Quoting childofGod995:

i would ask his doctor what is best for him to do. if it is a case of money, then i would find a way for him to work less hours and maybe you could help out by finding a little job that could make up for the money. if he is working for the money and you do not need that much for bills, then he needs to cut back for sure and learn to enjoy life before it is too late.either that or change jobs or go into retirement earlier than usual unless he is really young.

• Anonymous
    February 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM

You read my post wrong! Dh works 4 days per week, 24 hours shifts, which means he is at work for 96 hours per week. He goes to school 2 days per week and does clinicals before or after class. That leaves 1 day per week he is home and that's only if his clinicals don't get backed up.

Quoting marchantmom06:

So working two days a week is to much for him? Sounds like he needs a different career.

• iamcafemom83
    February 24, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    That is nuts. 24 hour shifts! I'd be looking for another place to work.

The Cafe