The Cafe

Featured Posts
nova.mommy
Boy Scouts?
February 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

First off my DS is not even in kindergarten yet, so Boy Scouts is a few years away for us.  But I heard on the news the other day that the Boy Scouts is considering changing their stand on gay/lesbian in the Scouts.  Some people have already said that if they allow openly gay/lesbian people into the orginization, they will take their boys out of Scouts.

Personally, I don't care what a person is(race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) as long as they treat my kids the right way.

How do you feel about the rule change?

Do you think the Boy Scouts should allow gays/lesbians in?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 67% - YES
  2. 17% - NO
  3. 14% - I DON'T CARE EITHER WAY

Replies

• Shopsha0911
    February 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM
    They need to wake up! We were a scouting family for years until my son decided no longer to be involved. More than a few of the boys were gay as well as some of the top leaders in the district. As the kids would say "what difference does it make?".
  • artemisa3001
    February 7, 2013 at 11:29 AM

"...Some people have already said that if they allow openly gay/lesbian people into the orginization, they will take their boys out of Scouts...."

I guess for those people is fine if they are in the closet... strange...

I do not like boy scouts bcs of that policy against gays and I think is a place for pedophiles to hide in plain sight and do bad things like a lot of priests in the Catholic church.

and I agree with you "...
    Personally, I don't care what a person is(race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) as long as they treat my kids the right way...."

• marchantmom06
    February 7, 2013 at 11:39 AM
    I wouldn't allow my boys to attend if they changed the rules. It's a Christian orginazation. Based on christian practices. That's like asking the pope to change the bible. Just like I wouldn't want a murderer or a child molester or a wife beater or a thief leading the group. It's against the Christian beliefs. But if they change it more power to them.
  • Mistweave
    February 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    There's nothing wrong with being gay even in the christian religion. The bible talks about men with little boys when it says anything about homosexual activity being wrong.

Quoting marchantmom06:

I wouldn't allow my boys to attend if they changed the rules. It's a Christian orginazation. Based on christian practices. That's like asking the pope to change the bible. Just like I wouldn't want a murderer or a child molester or a wife beater or a thief leading the group. It's against the Christian beliefs. But if they change it more power to them.
  • marchantmom06
    February 7, 2013 at 12:54 PM
    That's YOUR interpretation. It says no man shall lie with another man like he would with a woman. That says nothing about little boys.

And also sex before marriage is a sin, it's written over and over. So if gay marriage isn't legal then they are committing a sin just by sleeping together.
    And no sin is greater than another.

Quoting Mistweave:

There's nothing wrong with being gay even in the christian religion. The bible talks about men with little boys when it says anything about homosexual activity being wrong.

Quoting marchantmom06:

• storkradio193
    February 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

No matter one's interpretation of the Bible, the Boy Scouts is not a Christian organization.  Many churches have scouts in their churches as youth programs, but so do non-Christians.  There are many Jewish scouting troops, for example.

The Bible or any sacred text is open to many interpretations and each group picks certain teachings and leaves others behind.  That is why there are around 30,000 Christian denominations worldwide.

Quoting marchantmom06:

That's YOUR interpretation. It says no man shall lie with another man like he would with a woman. That says nothing about little boys.

And also sex before marriage is a sin, it's written over and over. So if gay marriage isn't legal then they are committing a sin just by sleeping together.

Quoting Mistweave:

Quoting marchantmom06:

• marchantmom06
    February 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM
    The boy scouts of America is a christian orginazation. Sorry to burst that bubble. There are other scout groups and chapters that allow other religions to form their own clubs off this orginal. But doesn't change what it is.

And you can say what you want the bible which ALL christan denominations follow says the same thing. Would you like the chapter and verse?

Quoting storkradio193:

No matter one's interpretation of the Bible, the Boy Scouts is not a Christian organization.  Many churches have scouts in their churches as youth programs, but so do non-Christians.  There are many Jewish scouting troops, for example.

The Bible or any sacred text is open to many interpretations and each group picks certain teachings and leaves others behind.  That is why there are around 30,000 Christian denominations worldwide.

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting Mistweave:

Quoting marchantmom06:

• nova.mommy
    February 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Boy Scouts are not a part of any religion.  They do, however, promote that each member be accepting of God.

"The BSA does not require adherence to any particular religious beliefs or ethos beyond this. The Boy Scout Handbook goes on to explain that "A Scout is Reverent" simply means that "A Scout is reverent towards God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others." Buddhists, followers of Native American religions, Muslims, Jews, Christians of all denominations, and many others, including those who define their own spirituality, can be and are members of the BSA. The BSA recognizes religious awards for over 38 faith groups including Baha'iZoroastrianismJudaismHinduism, and 28 varieties of Christianity."

Boy Scouts of America 

Quoting marchantmom06:

The boy scouts of America is a christian orginazation. Sorry to burst that bubble. There are other scout groups and chapters that allow other religions to form their own clubs off this orginal. But doesn't change what it is.

And you can say what you want the bible which ALL christan denominations follow says the same thing. Would you like the chapter and verse?

Quoting storkradio193:

Quoting marchantmom06:

Quoting Mistweave:

Quoting marchantmom06:

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    February 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I personally would not ever let my son join Boy Scouts but that has to do solely on the leadership (or I should say non-leadership) in our town.  I do not think they should be forced to change their membership requirements.  They are a private organization.

• lilblu399
    February 7, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    The change wouldn't bother me, but my son would never be in the scouts, they unfortunately followed so many organizations that hid or lied about grown men abusing young boys.

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts