Featured Posts
Ednarooni160
Graphic Video: Police Taser Man Holding Knife to His Throat Outside Buckingham Palace as Shocked Tourists Watch
February 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Graphic Video: Police Taser Man Holding Knife to His Throat Outside Buckingham Palace as Shocked Tourists Watch

British police Tasered a man who was holding a large knife to his throat in front of a crowd of tourists outside Buckingham Palace in London on Sunday.

Scotland Yard said the man, estimated to be in his 50s, acted aggressively when confronted by police outside the palace gates, the Associated Press reported.

Image source: YouTube

Cell phone video posted online showed him holding a green-handled blade to his throat in the middle of the square. Tourists had gathered to watch the palace’s changing of the guard event, according to the Daily Mail. A police officer on horseback shouted at passerby to back up and move away.

When an officer first hit the man with the stun gun, he appeared to try to charge toward the officer with his knife outstretched. The man fell to the ground a few moments later, the knife was kicked away and police pounced on top of him.

The man was not immediately named or identified.

Officers said he “tried to make an exhibition of himself during the guard change,” according to the Guardian. A police spokesman told the Independent the man was carrying two knives but did not make any threats to the public.

Eyewitness Kevin Burrows told the Huffington Post the man broke through a cordon as the guard change was about to happen.

“I thought ‘Oh my God, I can’t believe it,’” Brown said. “There must have been about 15 police officers on foot who surrounded him once he’d been Tasered. The police saw him really quickly and were obviously cautious. He was in his 40s I’d say and I think he had knives in both hands. Everybody was standing back when it happened and people were actually quite calm, I think everyone was surprised.”

Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip were at their country retreat, Sandringham Estate, when the incident occurred.

I was curious as to whether knives are legal in the UK and this is what I found.

Illegal in the UK: Knives, Blades, Mace or Pepper Sprays

Many pocket knives and other blades, and mace or pepper spray canisters, although legal in the United States, are illegal in the United Kingdom and will result in arrest and confiscation if detected. A UK Metropolitan Police guide to items that are prohibited as offensive weapons is available at http://www.met.police.uk/youngpeople/guns.htm . A UK Customs Guide, detailing which items visitors are prohibited from bringing into the United Kingdom, is available at http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile?contentID=HMCE_CL_001734 .

For more information, please see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for the United Kingdom at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1052.html .

Knife Image

Photo: Jennifer König on Flickr

Replies

• Ednarooni160
    February 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I'm actually shocked that you can't have pepper spray in the UK..I bet the criminals LOVE that..(smh)..

• allycally
    February 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    I went to London at 17 and walked around at night with friends and never felt like I was in any danger...can't say I could do that in a major city here
  • imamomzilla
    February 3, 2013 at 7:51 PM

surprised

• imamomzilla
    February 3, 2013 at 7:59 PM

It doesn't sound that "safe" to me... :-(

25 May 2012 Last updated at 07:27 ET

Recorded rape up 53% in London

There has been a 53% rise in recorded rape in London over the last four years.

In the financial year 2008-2009, there were 2,177 reports of rape to the Metropolitan Police.

But by 2011-2012, that had jumped to 3,334 cases. Some 667 prosecutions have been completed, 369 of which were successful.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman claimed the rise was due to victims feeling more confident about coming forward.

He said: "We believe this rise in recorded crimes is partly due to an increase in victims coming forward to report rape and sexual assaults."

The statistics are from the Crown Prosecution Service.

The CPS said a further 661 people have been charged from the year 2011-2012, with court cases yet to be completed.

http:/. www. bbc .co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18200190

Quoting allycally:

I went to London at 17 and walked around at night with friends and never felt like I was in any danger...can't say I could do that in a major city here

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    February 3, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    No worse than the US.

Quoting imamomzilla:

In the financial year 2008-2009, there were 2,177 reports of rape to the Metropolitan Police.

But by 2011-2012, that had jumped to 3,334 cases. Some 667 prosecutions have been completed, 369 of which were successful.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman claimed the rise was due to victims feeling more confident about coming forward.

He said: "We believe this rise in recorded crimes is partly due to an increase in victims coming forward to report rape and sexual assaults."

The CPS said a further 661 people have been charged from the year 2011-2012, with court cases yet to be completed.

Quoting allycally:

• imamomzilla
    February 3, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I know. How sad. :-(

Rape Statistics

Sexual assault…it’s not about lust and desire, it’s a violent crime of POWER, CONTROL and DOMINANCE

• Every 45 seconds someone in the United States is sexually assaulted (1).
    • 1 out of every 7 women currently in college has been raped (2), however, 9 out of 10 women raped on campus never tell anyone about the rape (3).
    • 1 in 10 men is raped in his lifetime (4), 1 in 7 of those victims will have been assaulted before the age of 18.
    • More than 61.5% of rapes are never reported to law enforcement (5).
    • Approximately 28% of rape victims are raped by their husbands, 35% by an acquaintance, and 17% by a relative other than spouse (6).
    • 74% of sexual assaults are perpetrated by assailants well known to the victim (7).
    • A female child victim is 7 times more likely to be re-victimized as an adult (8).
    • Nearly 6 out of 10 sexual assaults occur at the victim’s home or the home of a friend, relative, or neighbor (9).
    • 1 in 15 rape victims contract a sexually transmitted disease (STD) as a result of being raped (10).
    • 1 in 15 rape victims become pregnant as a result of being raped (11).
    • The United States has the world’s highest rape rate of all countries that publish such data- 13 times higher than England and more than 20 times higher than Japan (12).
    • An American woman is 10 times more likely to be raped than to die in a car crash (13).
    • 61% of rape victims are females under the age of 18 (14).
    • Contrary to common belief that violent crime rates are notably lower in rural areas, a recent analysis of location data collected for the 1999 National Women’s Study found that 10.1% of women living in rural areas had experienced a completed rape as compared to 13.6% of women living in urban and suburban communities—hardly a notably lower rate.

Lewis, S. 2003. Unspoken Crimes: Sexual Assault in Rural America, Enola, PA: National Sexual Violence Resource Center

References:

U.S. Department of Justice, 1994
    Statistics on Sexual Violence Against Women, 1990; Woodruff & Koss
    Rape Treatment Center of Santa Monica Longitudinal Study, 1995
    Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence, 2002 & The American Medical Association, 2000
    Indiana Coalition Against Sexual Assault, 2002
    Indiana Coalition Against Sexual Assault, 2002
    National Crime Victimization Survey, 1996
    Statistics on Sexual Violence Against Women: A Criminological Study, 1990
    Ibid. #10 Senate Judiciary Committee, 1990
    Ibid. #12 American Medical Association, 2000

Quoting Anonymous:

No worse than the US.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting allycally:

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts