The Cafe

Ednarooni160
Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Same-Sex Couple’s Wedding Cake
February 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Faith

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Same-Sex Couple’s Wedding Cake

Oregon Baker Faces State Investigation After Refusing to Make Cake for Same Sex Couples Wedding

(Photo: KATU)

An Oregon man may have broken the law and is facing a state investigation after refusing to bake a cake for a same-sex couple’s wedding, KATU reports.

KGW has details on the story:

It started on Jan. 17 when a mother and daughter showed up at Sweet Cakes by Melissa looking for the perfect wedding cake.

“My first question is what’s the wedding date,” said owner Aaron Klein.  “My next question is bride and groom’s name … the girl giggled a little bit and said it’s two brides.”

Klein apologized to the women and told them he and his wife do not make cakes for same-sex marriages.  Klein said the women were disgusted and walked out.

“I believe that marriage is a religious institution ordained by God,” said Klein.  “A man should leave his mother and father and cling to his wife … that to me is the beginning of marriage.”

[...]

“I’d rather have my kids see their dad stand up for what he believes in then to see him bow down because one person complained.”

One of the women filed a complaint on January 28– also saying Klein referred to them as “abominations unto the Lord”– and now the Oregon Attorney General’s civil enforcement officers are investigating the claim.

But Klein says he never used harsh language and has no problem with homosexuals; he just doesn’t want to be a part of their marriage.

“I honestly did not mean to hurt anybody, didn’t mean to make anybody upset, [it’s] just something I believe in very strongly,” he told KATU.

When asked whether he’d be willing to lose his business over the matter, Klein said: “If I have to be to, I guess, be penalized for my beliefs, then I guess, well, that’ll be what it is.”

The case now presents a unique legal dilemma, according to reports, since Oregon law forbids discrimination based on sexual orientation, and the U.S. Constitution protects Klein’s freedom of religion.

Klein has two weeks to file his official account what happened before the attorney general’s office decides how to proceed.

KATU has more on the story, including an interview with Klein:

VIDEO HERE:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/02/baker-under-investigation-after-declining-to-make-gay-couples-wedding-cake-if-i-have-to-be-penalized-for-my-beliefs-so-be-it/

Replies

• Ednarooni160
    February 3, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I'm guessing that since it's in the state law that all businesses have to service the public even in cases of sexual orientation..I'm guessing he's going to face a problem... But..he was honest..and he said he would give up his business if that's what it took..

This is my thought..I know lots of cake bakers that do "anyone's cake".. If you own a restaurant you "usually" don't know what orientation the customer is..if you eat at a restaurant you don't know if the server, owner, or cook is gay. But sadly when you do specialty items..like wedding cakes..you do.. If it had been a birthday cake I doubt there would have been a problem.. So..one has to ask..if you provide a birthday cake for someone..why would you not provide a wedding cake..ergo lies the distinction of one's beliefs that marriage was made for a man and woman only.   Some don't care..some do.

• Josie88888
    February 26, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    The baker is right, God made marriage and sex for a man and a woman. I'm happy he stood up for what's right, what God wants. God Bless
  • cjsmom1
    by cjsmom1
    February 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM
    I don't know how I feel about this. I commend him for standing up for his beliefs, but it is discrimination. I don't think making them a cake would have been horrible to do.
    Plus the Bible also says "thou shall not judge" and I believe people are being judged due to their sexual orientation.
  • LuckyMom822
    February 27, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I feel the same way. I have no problem with same sex marriage but a business owner should be allowed to turn down a job. BUT if he was to turn down the job because the customer was of a different race or religion, he would be very wrong. So I guess I would say he is wrong by law.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I don't know how I feel about this. I commend him for standing up for his beliefs, but it is discrimination. I don't think making them a cake would have been horrible to do.
    Plus the Bible also says "thou shall not judge" and I believe people are being judged due to their sexual orientation.

• CountryLayne
    February 27, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Being the owner of a cake decorating business, I can honestly say that my personal beliefs do not interact with any decision making on the orders I accept and decline. I know that if I were to decline someone for sexual orientation, race, etc., then I am opening up myself to the possibility of a lawsuit for discrimination.

I work on a lot of cakes. For me- the reason I do it is to see people happy. If it is a same sex marriage, then so be it. Everyone deserves the chance to have a nice wedding reception- no matter what anyone else thinks. Really, the only time I decline an order is if 1) it is a cake I am uncomfortable making (sexual in nature normally, but sometimes carved or cakes that are out of my talent range) 2) it is someone who has a history of poor payments with me 3) I am fully booked for the time period they are requesting (which happens all the time, anymore).

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 27, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    Shouldn't a business owner be able to refuse any business they desire??? Wow. Go somewhere else if you don't get what you want? Isn't that what everyone else does??? Why start shit, go to the next bakery.
  • mhaney03
    February 27, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I doubt he ever said those words, they are just trying to make their case sound better.

• GertieK
    by GertieK
    February 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

This should never turn into a legal issue.  This is his business, and his choice.  The government needs to stay the heck out of privately own businesses.  People need to get over being so stinking ready to be offended or pissed off.  Get over it already.  I was turned down by a business because I wasn't black.  So freaking what!  People walk around all sensitive and always looking for a way to be offended or discriminated against, or whatever.  I am so sick of it.  Welcome to the real world.  There is no way you can go through life and things always be fair.  Trying to make things equal and fair always for everybody is turning into a big mess. 

• GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    February 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I agree with you, I find his "stand" to be a bit much. While I support his right to believe as he wishes he is operating a business that is open to the public and so accepts that his services are available to all that wish to contract with him for such services. And as you pointed out he probably doesn't know much about other clients for which he bakes so to decide that he won't be party to a same-sex marriage, to which he objects, through his cake is just a bit much. After all he isn't being asked to stand up to the wedding or to even attend and I doubt that anyone would consider that the baker has any substantial involvement other than a commercial one.

From another standpoint I must wonder what actually happened in this "he said, she said" situation and am content to let this be decided in a court. I also will be interested in the outcome of this.  

Quoting Ednarooni160:

I'm guessing that since it's in the state law that all businesses have to service the public even in cases of sexual orientation..I'm guessing he's going to face a problem... But..he was honest..and he said he would give up his business if that's what it took..

This is my thought..I know lots of cake bakers that do "anyone's cake".. If you own a restaurant you "usually" don't know what orientation the customer is..if you eat at a restaurant you don't know if the server, owner, or cook is gay. But sadly when you do specialty items..like wedding cakes..you do.. If it had been a birthday cake I doubt there would have been a problem.. So..one has to ask..if you provide a birthday cake for someone..why would you not provide a wedding cake..ergo lies the distinction of one's beliefs that marriage was made for a man and woman only.   Some don't care..some do.

• Marimaru
    February 28, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I honestly don't know why this needs to go so far.  I don't actually agree with the guy's stance, but if one cake shop won't do your cake, go to the next and gripe to your friends about it.  Let people know, sure, so that people who agree with you don't use the guy's shop, but I don't think it needs to be news, and I don't think the guy needs to be in legal trouble over it.

The Cafe