The Cafe

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Filing taxes and separated?
by Anonymous
January 31, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I should be getting my last W2 any day now and am going to go file taxes as soon as I do. My husband and I have been separated since September of last year, but we aren't legally separated (we didn't file for legal separation). Can I file separated head of household even though we aren't legally separated? Or do I have to file married filing separately or married filing jointly?

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    January 31, 2013 at 11:01 PM

BUMP!

• JacksonGirl
    February 1, 2013 at 5:12 AM
    If I'm reading your post right he was with you more than half of last yr so you could file married filing separately but I don't believe you can claim head of household. I give you a bump for someone who knows for sure.
  • SoKamele
    February 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM

You can...but it won't be legal.....so if you get audited...you'll have to pay it back.

Legally...you file......married filing seperately........and after you're divorced.....you file head of household.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    February 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM
    Married separately, but not heaq of household.
  • sunrisekn
    February 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM

There are 3 requirements for filing Head of household. Just read them and see if they fit you.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    February 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    There is a test to determine if you can claim head of household and you must answer yes to all. Because you lived with him more than 6 months you don't qualify for hoh.

You must file married separate or marries joint.

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts