The Cafe

Cafe Steph
Do you think first birthday parties are pointless? How did you celebrate your child's first?
January 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM

First Birthday Parties Are Kind of Pointless

Posted by Nicole Fabian-Weber on January 31, 2013 

balloonsIn the past six months, I have been to four first birthday parties. Each one was beautiful. Each one was filled with all sorts of adorable Pinterest-inspired crafts and creative appetizers. Each one had a period where the guest of honor, the baby, was fast asleep.

My daughter's first birthday is coming up (okay, fine, it's over two months away), and part of me can't help but scour the web for interesting ideas for balloon formations (I mean, come on), and cake inspiration, but another part of me, the logical part, feels like: What's the point? My child is going to have zero clue of what's going on.

First birthday parties are more for the parents. I think we're all on the same page with that one, right? And while making it through the first year -- both the parents and the baby -- is absolutely, positively something worth celebrating, does it really require an ice sculpture? (No, I've never seen an actual ice sculpture at a party, but I have seen a chocolate fountain. True story.)

The way I'm kind of seeing things right now is there's really no need to go all out when it comes to a baby's very first birthday. As the years go on, and the child becomes more aware of their birthdays and, um, knows what a party is, I feel like -- do it up. I can't wait to see the look on my daughter's face when she and her friends who are now TBD are bouncing around on a trampoline or making sand art or whatever. But that's not right now. Now, she's quite content smacking her hands against her highchair or pushing people's noses in hopes that they'll make a noise like one of her toys. Seriously, she could do it for hours. And, to be honest, I'm not even sure how much pomp and circumstance I feel second birthday parties require. From what I hear, it's their third birthday (and third Christmas) when they know what's going on.

However, I want to do something. Like I said, getting through what many deem the toughest year of parenthood -- and childhood -- is definitely worth some recognition.

So, what to do?

As of now, the only two things I've come up with are a small brunch at home with only a few family members and maybe a friend or two. Or simply going out to breakfast with my daughter and husband, followed by a trip to an aquarium or something -- something she'll kind of/sort of be able to appreciate. I'd like to do something memorable, but I don't want to go nuts, and I definitely don't want to break the bank. The important thing is that we're together and happy.

But, oh yes -- there will be cake.

How did you celebrate your child's first birthday?

Replies

• artemisa3001
    February 1, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I agree that is more for the parents than the kid, but lets be honest, we all love looking at the pics of our first birthday party.

In our case, indeed it was more for us, for my husband, he was battling cancer at the time, was recovering from a very bad bound of pneumonia that almost kill him so I needed to do something to make him happy.  We had our close family, we had it in the restaurant in the hotel(at that time the restaurant was empty) in front of the hospital where he was at.

• Marimaru
    February 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I've always said that most of the "firsts" of anything for a child are more for the adults.  First birthday, first Christmas (or whatever holiday), etc.  My daughter and 3 first birthday parties, lol.  One with my family down in California, one with my husband's family in Washington, and then we did a little thing where I made her a cupcake at home on her actual birthday.  In the case of the 2 family parties, it was mostly an excuse to get together and hang out, just that there was birthday cake involved.  I don't see going all out for a 1st birthday party in any case.

• BlsdWithTwOKids
    February 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

We did a first birthday party for my son and my daughter.I don't throw birthday parties anymore..For my son's 1st birthday he has a summer b-day so we had it at the Park just with family members,with my daughter it was a bit rainy out she has a spring birthday we just had a princess themed party at our house with just family members...I have a lot of memories and photos from their 1st parties,it's something I can look back on...

• Mama2JoshKatie
    February 1, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I think a party is definitely in order, but a small one because a large party with lots of people might overwhelm the baby (who doesn't even know what a birthday means, lol). We had small birthday parties for both my kids 1st birthdays. It was just us and some of our family and that worked out just fine.

• Mama2JoshKatie
    February 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

All the firsts are definitely for the adults. My son was only two months old on his first Christmas. We were all excited and got him tons of stuff but he was more interested in sleeping, eating, or messing his diaper. lol Although he did laugh for the first time on Christmas Eve, and that was special. :)

Quoting Marimaru:

I've always said that most of the "firsts" of anything for a child are more for the adults.  First birthday, first Christmas (or whatever holiday), etc.  My daughter and 3 first birthday parties, lol.  One with my family down in California, one with my husband's family in Washington, and then we did a little thing where I made her a cupcake at home on her actual birthday.  In the case of the 2 family parties, it was mostly an excuse to get together and hang out, just that there was birthday cake involved.  I don't see going all out for a 1st birthday party in any case.

• la_bella_vita
    February 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I have 4 kids. The first 2 we did over the top parties. For my next 2 we did smaller parties.

• Glowing4Caleb
    February 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

We just did a big 1st birthday party for my son. It was fun. (he didn't sleep! :) ) Yes, it is more for parents, but he had a blast. There were babies from his little church group and one from his daycare class, plus some of my other friends who have kids. He crawled around, ate cake and got carried by many. Of course, I am an event planner. I get paid to throw parties, so how could I not do one for my own? :)

• ZsMommy
    by ZsMommy
    February 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Just had a couple friends over. Basically for pics and a get together. Hubby's family had a party too. But in both cases it was just small because at 1 they really don't remember or grasp the concept.

• Homeschoolmom99
    February 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Small family party with a small cake for the baby to mush his or her hands in for that pic! It is a family tradition. Same for the 2nd by age 3 maybe a bigger party I think my niece is insane she spent a grand for a 3rd birthday party at Disneyland! Got mad when we could not attend! I am a grad student and my son does not like Disneyland and I do not have $400.00 to spend to go anyway

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    February 2, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I like friends and family in my pics. That's why I invited everyone important in my child's life to her PARTY. She deserved to be celebrated. That's what most parents want. It's a memory for ALL of us. One we share with our DD today. She loves her birthday photo album we made her.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can take pics of your kid with gifts and cake without a party.

Quoting Ednarooni160:

Do you think first birthday parties are pointless? No..they are precious..everyone should have one and take lots of picts..

The Cafe