Featured Posts
Cafe Amanda
School Tells Bullied Sixth Grader to Get a Breast Reduction
January 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM

School Tells Bullied Sixth Grader to Get a Breast Reduction

Posted by Jeanne Sager
on January 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM

boobies braceletIn every grade school class there is that one girl who develops way ahead of the pack. She's the envy of some, the nightmare of others, and an easy target for bullies. And for one sixth grade girl in Missouri, the bullying got really out of control when it started coming from her school administrators who told the 13-year-old to get a breast reduction!

Well, the school got one thing right -- something needs to be done about the boobs. And by that I mean the administrators who would dare tell a child that their body is the problem.

What's next? Telling the overweight girl that she needs to take up an eating disorder so people will leave her alone? Or maybe the schools will start requiring plastic surgery for the kid with the port wine stain?

Or, you know, we could just tell the bullies where to shove it.

Sigh. I wish I could re-write this story for this poor girl, that school administrators would have done their jobs and told the kids picking on her breasts to grow up.

But for some reason this "blame the victim" mentality seems to be entrenched in schools all across this country. It's not just the boobs in the Riverview Gardens School District. A mom recently related that her son was being called a gay slur by his classmates. The school's response? They told her to cut her son's hair.

This is just what the bullies want -- they want to make life harder for their victims, and when districts turn on the kids who are being wronged, they're playing right into their hands. This poor girl is simply growing. She can't help that. But in telling her to get a breast reduction, the school is trying to make science and nature the bad guy here instead of the kids who need to learn some compassion.

Is it any wonder kids are bullies? We still have adults who work with kids and who find it acceptable to treat kids as if their naturally developing bodies are a problem. Until the adults change, this is not going to stop!

Have you dealt with a "blame the victim" issue in your district? What happened?

Replies

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    January 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Someone would be missing teeth.
  • randi1978
    January 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This is absolutely disgusting on the part of the school.  Particularly in this instance because it is something completely out of the girl's control.  I'd have slapped anyone who would suggest such a thing to my child.

It's not as uncommon as some might believe.  I forget where I read about it, but some report or survey came about and school staff actually often agreed with the bullies and felt that the kids being bullied should try to make an effort to try not to stand out.

I dealt with some shit through grade school and middle school and all the school suggested was that I try to "fit in" better, stop writing and drawing my weird stuff and actually act like a "normal" girl.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    I would snatch someone baldheaded if they were to tell my child or me something like that!!! Totally uncalled for....they should lose their jobs, the ability to be able to get another job where there are kids AND also have a life time ban on any license to teach any where!!!
  • MandaRose83

My son is only in Kindergarten but if that were my daughter I'd own that school!

• hizwifie
    January 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I would be in jail, for kicking some ones ass! That is not ok at all. In a few years, girls will envy her and boys will want her. I cant believe a school would suggest plastic surgery to a 13 year old!!!

• nataliesmom2012
    January 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM
    Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting...
  • bjsgrl
    by bjsgrl
    January 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM

That's the most ridiculous thing a school could do/say.

Do something about the bullies, and help the ones being bullied!!!

• Threes.Company
    January 19, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Where's the rest of the story about the breast reduction comment?  I find it odd that an administrator would say such a thing.  I've worked in 4 different schools.  I have never met an administrator who would say such a thing.  I am wondering what the context was of the comment, if it was made at all.  This post leaves a lot of details out.  Obviously I don't think the child should be told to get surgery to fix a bullying issue.  No one does!  Which is why I am wondering what really happened.  Even the article (link) said the school district was "looking into it".  So, we don't really know what happened yet.

• LiLsMaMa21
    January 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I would be in jail if that were my child... I seriously would have gone up to that school and kicked the shit out of all the administrators who were a part of saying a CHILD needs to get a breast reduction. WTF is wrong with people?!?! It's one thing for kids to be cruel, but adults should be just that...ADULTS! 

• Cafe Amanda
    January 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Quoting Threes.Company:

Where's the rest of the story about the breast reduction comment?  I find it odd that an administrator would say such a thing.  I've worked in 4 different schools.  I have never met an administrator who would say such a thing.  I am wondering what the context was of the comment, if it was made at all.  This post leaves a lot of details out.  Obviously I don't think the child should be told to get surgery to fix a bullying issue.  No one does!  Which is why I am wondering what really happened.  Even the article (link) said the school district was "looking into it".  So, we don't really know what happened yet.

From what I gathered from the video in the news link, it sounds like maybe it was an offhanded comment (perhaps even sincerely trying to be helpful?) by whoever took the call. Regardless of who said it or why, it is absolutely an inappropriate suggestion for the situation, IMO.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN