The Cafe

Keatonzmom
When to get RH Negative Shot?
January 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I can't remember when I got it with my first born but i'm already just hitting 29 weeks and my next doctors appointment isn't until the 29th. Everyone I talk to and what I google it's around 28 weeks. I told my doctor in the very beginning that i'm going to need the shot, and a few visits ago as well. Just hoping it didn't leak through the cracks or something. Is it normal to wait till around 31 weeks to get the shot or should I call my doctor and set up a separate appointment? I think either way i'll call them tomorrow but just trying to ease my mind a little tonight I guess. 

Replies

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    January 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

28 weeks

I got mine in the beginning of pregnancy with all three due to bleeding, 28 weeks for the routine, and after birth because they had positive blood types (not sure about this baby yet coming in 3.5 weeks).

• LADYxGHOST
    January 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM
    I would call. I have never heard of waiting that long unless the know the baby's Rh factor already. At least they can explain why the wait.
  • Saphira1207
    January 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Huh.

I didn't even get it with my second and at 11 he's as normal as kids can be.

• mygirls2012
    January 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I would call my sis daughter in law lost 2 she was unaware that she had this the first time and the second she lost at 5 months due to not getting the shot.. she is 5-6 weeks now and the new dr she has said she could wait til the 8 week check up she is real nervous, I would call just to ask to be safe..

• Keatonzmom
    January 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Ya, i'm thinking it's kind of a big thing i'd rather be safe for than sorry. I gave them a call and now just waiting for the nurse to get back to me.

Quoting mygirls2012:

I would call my sis daughter in law lost 2 she was unaware that she had this the first time and the second she lost at 5 months due to not getting the shot.. she is 5-6 weeks now and the new dr she has said she could wait til the 8 week check up she is real nervous, I would call just to ask to be safe..

• thatgirl70
    January 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Just for those not aware of why the shot is given (in case questions are asked):

http://www.pregnancy.org/article/rh-incompatibility-and-why-you-need-rhogam

And OP, you'll get it again after you give birth.

• Yurixsi
    by Yurixsi
    January 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    doc said id get mine at 26.. With my first it was also 26 weeks second 28 weeks and I got it again after all births..
  • ColieO
    by ColieO
    January 19, 2013 at 5:14 PM
    It's not really necessary unless there was trauma while pregnant that caused you to bleed and then the shot after birth if baby is positive. The28 week shot is nothing more than precaution.
  • MichelleJ1000
    January 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM
    I only got one injection and that was after the birth with all three kids.
  • Keatonzmom
    January 19, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Well the lady said that it's still within the same month and they have it scheduled for me at my next appointment. It's still kind of like ok, well if something happens to me before then than I'm SOL with the baby so I'm thinking I might give them a call Monday and set up a separate appointment for next week. I don't feel comfortable waiting three weeks pass the "usual" time frame. 

EDIT: I know it's just more of a precausion but i've been bringing it up to them for awhile because i'm paranoid and would feel more comfotable to have it earlier than later. Kinda irritated that they pushed it off this long with how concerned about it I obviously was/am.

The Cafe