The Cafe

Nathans_mom0612
Can my dr. Refuse a visit--edit(update)
January 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM
low and behold either the flu or some other nasty virus has hit my house. I called the dr. this mirning and the receptionust said we dont want them in here because there are babies in here and we dont want them getting sick. Ok, i understand the concern, but they could get sick just from a trip to the grocery store. How am i supposed to know what my son has unless i get him to the dr?*********edit: my kids hardly ever get sick. They go to the dr. Once a year typically for their well child visit. The longest they have ever had a fever is about 12 hours and they NEVER saidthe room was spinning. I called the on call the night this happened and they advised me to treat him that night and call the office in the morning for an appointment.******edit again: i cannot respond to everyone cause this post is on fire! I an going to try to answer all questions: there is an urgent care down the street from me but you have to be a patient there. Its where i go but they dont specialize so i brought my kids to a pedi 35 minutes away. I am going to be moving my kids to them in the next few days. I know there is nithing i can do for the flu,which is not what im complaining about, im complaining that they are guessing what my son has instead of finding out for sure. Pneumonia DOES prevent the same as the flu. I had it and so did my neice and the symptoms were the same as my son has now. Our closest ER is 45 mintues away. I called the on call emts in my area the night this happened. They cheked him out, his vitals were perfect and they suggested to all in the morning for an appointment. Thank you tor those who actually showed concern instead of giving me rude comments, like a lot did. He is doing much better, fever is gone but he does still have a nasty cough. One of my twins and my youngest have the fever today so i am convinced now it is the flu and not pneumonia. If there are any questions i missed pkease ask again and i will try to get to it.
*****update: for those of you who said i was overreacting and that people overexaggerate how sick their kids are...two of my kids now have ear infections, so i do think my dr.was wrong not to see them.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    Did your kids have viruses that the ER or doctors office couldn't help??

Quoting cmabbott:

Ask for the office manager.  My pediatricians office did that and I ended up with $400 in ER copays because they told us to go to the ER.  When I told the pediatrician at our next visit (2 kids both with 104 or higher fevers, 2 ER visits, and when I called the office "No open appointments") he flipped out!  He literally walked out of the exam room and yelled at the office staff and told the office manager he would be speaking with her later about how to handle calls for sick children that NEED to be seen.  He came back in and apologized and told me that if it happens again to come into the office and demand to speak to him directly.  My DH told him that if it happens again, we're showing up at his house after hours (DH is good friends with his son).  So I'd start with the office manager and work your way up the ranks.

• JocelynsMama1
    January 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

wow no i've never heard of that Id ask to speak to the dr. and if the dr. says the same thing id switch peds....my dr. only doesnt see her if shes completely booked and even then she will usually work her in

• .oOMellyOo.
    January 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

There is nothing the doctor can do other than say "yup he/ she has the flu" You're window of opportunity to the tamiflu to be effective is up so really there is no since in going. Just keep up with Tylenol and Motrin and keep them hydrated.

• cjsbmom
    by cjsbmom
    January 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

That is ridiculous! Most pediatricians have a well-child waiting area and a non-well child waiting area. For them to refuse to see you at all is ridiculous. I'm wondering if this is a policy the doctor set, or if this is something the receptionist is doing on her own because *she* doesn't want to be around sick kids. I'd call your insurance company and tell them what's happening and that you're going to be forced to go to the ER if they don't help you get your regular pedi to see you.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Honestly.....unless it's within 48 hours there isn't much a doctor can do.... 

They will usually send you home with rest and fluids.

AND...with the flu and stomach bug and everything being so prevalant right now....if you DO take them, they are likely to pick up something else!

NOw if they are getting dehydrated or having a hard time breathing.... then that 's a different level and must by seen

But be thankful that your kids' doctor doesn't want you to waste gas/money to be seen, when there is nothing he can do.  

• kameka
    by kameka
    January 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM
    My doc has a well-baby waiting room for those under 3 months, a well-child room and a sick-child room. Everyone is separated and I would be FURIOUS if they said not to come in. Both of my youngest had the flu this year and were prescribed Tamiflu which can shorten and lesson the symptoms. It's not like there's nothing they can do for it! And what if the child is dehydrated and the parent didn't realize?
  • Keatonzmom

WOW. I think it's time you get a new doctor. Maybe they should do their job and sanatize the place better. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    What is the doctor reaaaaally going to do for your kids? Just keep them home. Everyone is so damn doctor happy, no wonder doctors over price us, cause they can.

Keep your kids home, constantly wash their hands, some warm-cool baths, lots of fluids, antioxidants, motrin if necessary.

Your kids will get past this. Unless they have diarrhoea/vomiting that wont end and struggled breathing than just keep them home!
  • goddess99
    January 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Here they announced in the paper not to go to the doctors or hospital if you're sick. Just treat at home. I agree, why spread it around. If you have a question, just call.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 15, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    If a parent doesn't know their child is dehydrated, they need some parenting classes 101 here.

Come on.... everyone should know their own kid well enough, and while sick like this should be strongly following them on how much they've had for fluids.

Quoting kameka:

My doc has a well-baby waiting room for those under 3 months, a well-child room and a sick-child room. Everyone is separated and I would be FURIOUS if they said not to come in. Both of my youngest had the flu this year and were prescribed Tamiflu which can shorten and lesson the symptoms. It's not like there's nothing they can do for it! And what if the child is dehydrated and the parent didn't realize?

The Cafe