Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Kids With Cellphones Scare the Crap Out of Me - What do you think about kids with cellphones?
January 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Kids With Cellphones Scare the Crap Out of Me

Posted by Aunt Becky on January 10, 2013

My family was one of the first to own a computer. We only owned one because my dad is a gadget freak, not because my parents are cutting edge -- my mother STILL doesn't understand how call waiting works.

But I'd sit there in my footie pajamas while my dad inserted these gigantic floppy discs into the large machine so that I could do things like "learn to tell time" by reading a gigantic green clock. Not quite on the level of Angry Birds, but I digress.

My son is 11 and a half (the half being of utmost importance), and he's asking for a cellphone, which freaks me out. I didn't have one until I was 21, and even then, the thing took up half my purse.

Ah, how the times have changed!

I'm trying my best to be a hip mom and all, but I can't see any good coming from allowing my kid to have a cellphone. I mean, he can't remember to put on socks -- how would he even remember to charge the thing? (This from the person who hasn't charged her phone in three days.)

And then there are the apps. I've been okay with the apps for my phone directed at my small kids -- they're fairly educational, and obnoxious blinky ads aside, I'm pretty comfortable letting them play on my phone. Especially since they use the phone to watch Netflix even though the television is MUCH bigger than the pack of smokes sized iPhone I use whenever I remember to charge it.

But there's an app for Facebook. One for Twitter. One for Tumblr. What if my kid decides it's time to open up a Facebook profile and write crap about me on his wall? Or tweet things about how I "rarely wear pants" and "how gross it is"?

To say I'm scared about the teen years is probably the biggest understatement of the century. (I was going to type "year," but since it's been 2013 for approximately six minutes, it seemed more appropriate to use "century.") I'm used to the mood swings and puberty stuffs -- I may not love it, but I can handle it.

But having a phone is like the gateway drug to teen-dom, which I am SO not ready for. Pretty soon, he's going to be asking about starting his own blog at which point, I may as well run and hide -- what if he finds MY blog?

GASP.

Panic attacks notwithstanding, what am I supposed to do with a teenager? Take him to a Jonas Brothers concert? Glee reunion tours? American Idol tryouts? I don't know! I can't even tell you for sure if those exist anymore! I haven't watched American Idol since Mormon-Face won, so for all I know, it could be canceled!

*breathes deeply*

I can do this. I can survive the teen years. It's not like a monster is going to move in and take over my son's brain, right?

I can survive the teen years, right? I should just stock up on more vodka, right? I mean, heh-heh, I was an "angel" during the teen years -- my kid's gonna be even more angelic, right?

No?

Shit.

Pass the vodka.

What do you think about kids with cellphones?

Replies

• PensFan99
    January 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM
    It is a different time then when we were young. I will probably give in at age 10 or 11. He face times friends on his iPod. No one lives close enough to play daily, so it is good he can interact.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    10, 15 years ago things have not changed that much other than a bunch of paranoid parents. Kids can survive without phones.

Quoting PensFan99:

It is a different time then when we were young. I will probably give in at age 10 or 11. He face times friends on his iPod. No one lives close enough to play daily, so it is good he can interact.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    January 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    My stepdaughter has had one since she was 9 we could track her when she was with her mom, long story short visit issues. And my youngest is 6 she has a basic for GPS tracking and emergencies.
  • mysticalmalissa
    January 11, 2013 at 7:56 PM

My son got his first android phone when he was 3. Its cheaper then buying a hand held gaming device. 

• Tea4Tas
    by Tea4Tas
    January 11, 2013 at 8:00 PM

My kids all had them early. It allowed me to communicate with them after school and about changes in plans.

The 9 year old has texting and calling and the others 16 and 20 and 22 have full plans.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    January 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    Nope. Not until they can pay for it themselves. I'm mom. I pay for necessities only. Luxuries come out of their own pockets.
  • themomof3boys
    January 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    My 11 yr old has a tracfone and he isn't allowed to give his number out to anyone and it is only for emergencies. But most of the time he doesn't even know where it is.
  • YuppyMom
    January 15, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Eh--I do not see the big deal at all.

My daughter needed a phone when she was young.  Looking back I think she was 7--hard to even remember now.

• chasingrandbaby
    January 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM

you have 4 to survive so take a deep breath! i have survived 3, one of them barely!

a friends 12 year old in sept when school started was the only one in the class to not raise her hand when the teacher asked who had a cell phone. I felt bad for the girl as she isnt strong in self esteem. It doesnt have to be a negative, YOU will appreciate them being able to contact you, OR you being able to contact them when out with friends and they go out younger and younger all the time! They should earn the right, be limited and be held accountable, its the beginning of the big things in life. When I was young , it was about whether u had a phone in your room, each generation has their own " what do u have's"??

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts