The Cafe

Featured Posts
momatippie
Can you file now?
January 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Can you file now using Turbo Tax?  even with the IRS not accepting returns yet?

Replies

• Shopsha0911
    January 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM

The IRS changed the date this week to Jan 30, the software has not been updated. 

• demonica29
    January 11, 2013 at 8:45 AM

ETA:  This was intended to quote MZLOVE89, the last post on page 2 where she claimed she had already filed her return. 

Yeah, no you didn't. First of all, filing from your last pays stub requires creating a substitute W2, which one cannot do until later in the season.  Employers are required to postmark all W2s by 1/31 and then you have to allow time for delivery.  Then you need to contact your employer and request they send another one to you, if you still do not receive one, only then can you file with a substitute W2, there is a certain date when you can file a substitute, I can't remember what it is, but it is late February, I believe.  Also, when you file with a substitute you are required to file a paper return, efile is not available.

As the IRS is not yet accepting returns, you have not yet filed your return.  What I'm guessing you did was get a pre-season loan from JH, which is a complete sucker move, you will pay an arm and a leg for it.  if the person at JH actually did go ahead and do the return from your last check stub, they did something they are not allowed to  do and they risked losing their PTIN as well as their job. Still though, it is not yet filed as the IRS has not yet started accepting. 

• HunternChase
    January 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    Same here..

Quoting Mechelle01:

We haven't even go anything tax papers in the mail yet!

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    January 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM

My taxes are already filled out and ready to click send

• demonica29
    January 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Many large companies, as well as most companies that use ADP for payroll are now making their W2s available online.  Walmart are usually the first W2s available each year and they are FAST, usually within the first weekof January. 

Quoting HunternChase:

Same here..

Quoting Mechelle01:

We haven't even go anything tax papers in the mail yet!

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts