Featured Posts
caitipenn
What would you do?
January 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

So ive posted on here a few times on advice with my BIL that is now 7.  We have had him since end of September beginning of october.  I dont remember exact date.  Anyways we have been FULLy taking care of him. wtih daycare, food, clothing, school, and his birthday(which his mom didnt even come to). 

So with taxes season here.  I was asked how long he would be staying and honestly we do not know.  And if we would be filing him on our taxes.  We hadnt even thought of this.  I for one do not know a whole lot on taxes i think his mom is still being paid for all three of her kids even though she doesnt have any of them.  But what would you do? File him or no?

Would you File him on your taxes?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 66% - Yes
  2. 33% - No
  3. 0% - Other, explain below

Replies

• EireLass
    January 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Check with his parents. You would need to file his SS# on your taxes. And perhaps his parents are too. Whoever gets their first, it's processed. Then when the other person does, his SS# comes up and the red lights go on. If you don't have legal guardianship, etc, of him....you really can't legally claim him. You would be committing fraud.

• caitipenn
    January 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Oh I did not know that if we didnt have gaurdianship we couldnt claim him..  We were just thinking.  We dont see his mom offering to pay us back at all so we were just thinking that if she allowed us to claim him she wouldnt owe us anything.  I know she is going to claim all three of her children even though she hasnt had them since sept.  She is still actually getting paid for welfare on them too. 

• fullxbusymom
    January 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM

No you can't unless you have had him more than half the year which it sounds like you haven't.

• caitipenn
    January 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Yea my husband came home and told me he found that out as well.  The weird thig was i was playing around on turbo tax and it asked how long i have had him and i put the honest answer and it didnt do anything usually something will pop up and it will say like oh you dont qualify or something.  Its just so frusterating because this isnt the first time she has drop him on us. So lets say we have him til like april.  That makes like 7 months but not in the same year.  What then?  I just dont know anything about this stuff.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No you can't unless you have had him more than half the year which it sounds like you haven't.

• fullxbusymom
    January 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Has to be more than half the year in the same calandar year.

Quoting caitipenn:

Yea my husband came home and told me he found that out as well.  The weird thig was i was playing around on turbo tax and it asked how long i have had him and i put the honest answer and it didnt do anything usually something will pop up and it will say like oh you dont qualify or something.  Its just so frusterating because this isnt the first time she has drop him on us. So lets say we have him til like april.  That makes like 7 months but not in the same year.  What then?  I just dont know anything about this stuff.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

• gonecrazi
    January 8, 2013 at 10:20 PM

If he has lived with you full time for 6 months or more then you can claim him unless his mother gives you permission.

• Cindy18
    by Cindy18
    January 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I think you have to have the dependant in your house for 6 months.

• Cindy18
    by Cindy18
    January 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I would call and report her.

You need to take her to court for abandoning him. IF something happens and he needs medical attention, you have no legal rights to do anything! That's a scary thought, IMO.

Quoting caitipenn:

Oh I did not know that if we didnt have gaurdianship we couldnt claim him..  We were just thinking.  We dont see his mom offering to pay us back at all so we were just thinking that if she allowed us to claim him she wouldnt owe us anything.  I know she is going to claim all three of her children even though she hasnt had them since sept.  She is still actually getting paid for welfare on them too. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts