The Cafe

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Do you think hot chocolate tastes better in an orange mug?
January 7, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Hot Chocolate Really Does Taste Better in This Color Mug

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on January 7, 2013 

orangemugI tend to be skeptical about studies suggesting certain colors influence our thoughts and feelings. You know, like how a lot of restaurants are supposed to have red tablecloths because red supposedly makes people want to eat/buy more, and psychatric wards paint the walls green because it's supposed to be soothing, etc.

But when I heard about a recent test conducted to find out if color can affect the way we taste, I'll admit I was intrigued. Mostly because the study involved hot chocolate, and it's cold outside, and I love chocolate. But also because the study's findings were sort of fascinating. Researchers had 57 people rate samples of hot chocolate that came in red, white, orange, and cream-colored cups. The samples were all exactly the same in every other way -- temperature, content, size.

The test subjects didn't know that when they were asked which hot chocolate tasted the very best of all, but for some reason, the majority of tasters preferred the hot chocolate from the orange cups. Huh! How bout that?!

Anyway, like I said, I tend to be skeptical about this kind of thing. So, since I happened to have an orange mug in the house (and the ingredients for hot chocolate), I figured I'd conduct my own little test. Which, non-scientifically went something like this: I made some hot chocolate. I poured half of it into an orange mug and half into a green mug and put them both in front of my boyfriend and said, "Here, try these and tell me which one you like better."

He took a sip of from the orange mug. He took a sip from the green mug. He took another sip from the orange mug. "This one," he said, pointing to the orange mug.

"Well. I'll be darned," I muttered under my breath.

So apparently there's something to this whole color thing, guys. Try it out and tell us ...

Do you think hot chocolate tastes better in an orange mug?

Replies

• NewMom11222011
    January 8, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Well... I like the taste of chocolate and orange together, so subliminally I might be enticed to think the cocoa in the orange mug tasted better.

confused

• sandy562
    January 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I have a favorite mug - and hot chocolate does taste just right in it -

( but mine is green)

• taniamorse85
    January 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I personally think hot chocolate tastes best in my Eeyore mug, lol.

• Uhura
    by Uhura
    January 9, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Yes

Because I like the color orange.

• mamamiajk
    January 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

good

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Um no. I have a purple mug with M.O.M. "manager of messes" on it, with darker purple dots. It is my favorite mug. All my drinks taste equally yummy in any color mug I have, be it plain black, white, blue, purple, or a personalized mug with my daughter's newborn picture on it.

• fullxbusymom
    January 11, 2013 at 6:55 PM

This

Quoting taniamorse85:

I personally think hot chocolate tastes best in my Eeyore mug, lol.

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts