The Cafe

Featured Posts
Nathans_mom0612
Feel so stupid and like I should cancel the check--edit--small update**update in replies**
January 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM
This may get long...sorry in advance
We lost our beloved golden on Christmas. At first we weren't going to get another dog right away, but our other golden is very lonely and so is my hubby...he misses his dog. After searching for a few days we found someone in our price range. She said she wasn't good with computers so she didn't know how to use PayPal so I said I would send her a check. She is 2 hours a way so we wouldn't be able to visit before picking up the dog. She really sounded for real. She said she would send pics Monday night. She called back later and said her son was going out and he would send them Tuesday. Tuesday I didn't get anything. I called her and she said they were working on it. She still seemed sincere though. Never got pictures. I sent her a text telling her she could text the pics since email clearly wasn't working. She sends a text back saying it won't let her. I sent her one back asking her to try my husbands # still nothing. That was yesterday evening. The check is already out and should have arrived today if not tomorrow. I asked her to call once she got it, but I'm really feeling like we got scammed. She had many pics online of the same dog and talking to her she had so many details. I have checked her out...her name and address are legit. Should I give her a few more days or start worrying?

Just to clarify to everyone who keeps asking why didnt you pay for the dogwhen you get it? Every single breeder i have talked to requires a deposit to hold the dog...not just her. It is common practice. We gave her a DEPOSIT...not full payment. We already have a date scheduled to pick up the dog...feb. 2nd. I spoke with her today and she is going to send pics tonight. If i dont receive them by tomorrow, we are going to cancel payment and look elsewhere.

UPDATE: she called today and asked if i had FB. I added her and got pics of all the pups plus she emailed me one of just our puppy. I am feeling much better about the situation now.

Replies

• sirkokobean
    January 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM

cancel check, if she is for real she will get you all the info real fast when she sees no money

• Nathans_mom0612
    January 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM

BUMP!

• 2kids19yrsapart
    January 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I still say CANCEL THE CHECK!!  You should have never paid the deposit without seeing pics first.   And it doesn't matter if you have researched the lady, unless you have ran a criminal background check on her, it doesn't matter.  And as for her husband being in business for himself, how long has the business been there?  Did you check with the BBB for a rating?  This just sounds too fishy to me.  Too many red flags waving.

• kaitybird
    January 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I didn't read all the responses, but I would cancel the check and also depending on where you found the ad I would report her so that in case she is scamming she will not be able to do it to anyone else.  There are a lot of honest people out there and there are also a lot of scammers too.  $400 is a lot of money to just wait and see.  Good luck to you and hope that everything works out for you.

I know you may be settled on a certain dog but the Animal shelters have so many dogs that need good homes maybe you could loook there too!  Just a thought!  :)

• Nathans_mom0612
    January 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    Quoting kaitybird:

I didn't read all the responses, but I would cancel the check and also depending on where you found the ad I would report her so that in case she is scamming she will not be able to do it to anyone else.  There are a lot of honest people out there and there are also a lot of scammers too.  $400 is a lot of money to just wait and see.  Good luck to you and hope that everything works out for you.

I know you may be settled on a certain dog but the Animal shelters have so many dogs that need good homes maybe you could loook there too!  Just a thought!  :)

I spoke to her today so i am feeling a little better. i am keeping records of everything just in case. Yeah we are kinda stick on a golden puppy.
  • lilbit53009
    January 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM

these are the exact words of scam artists

sorry...you got played. cancel the check ASAP

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting cjsmom1:

I find it really odd. When we sold our puppy we brought the dog to the person and got payment right then and there. I would never send someone money though the mail. It definitely sounds like a scam. If I were you I'd cancel the check and tell her you'll give her the full payment when you pick the dog up.

I could easily post a picture of someone else's dog or pictures of the puppies I had online. Sadly there are a lot of scam artists out there.

The only reason i wasnt suspicious was cuz it was actually my idea to send her a check. She said she had paypal and hadnt used it in forever so wasnt sure how to log in. She said she was going to have her son help her. The next day i remembered paypal charges you a fee to accept a payment so I called HER and said i could send a check so she didnt get the fee. She was whatever worked better. Her husband owns a company and their address is his companies address(i checked into it) so i know they arent running anywhere. I kept a copy of the check with a letter stating this check was for 1 male puppy so i thought i covered my ass. Im just feeling like niw i might have to sue this woman.

• weberbaby
    January 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

That seems like a large deposit.  When we purchased our golden from a home breeder she was only $500 total.  I know we put a down payment so that makes sense but it seems large to me.  Find a way to see the dog in person, that's the best advice I can give you.  If you can't see the dog this week then try and get out of this situation.  And next time, see the dog before giving a deposit and don't offer to pay in a way that is not normal practice for that company.

• Nathans_mom0612
    January 4, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Quoting weberbaby:

That seems like a large deposit.  When we purchased our golden from a home breeder she was only $500 total.  I know we put a down payment so that makes sense but it seems large to me.  Find a way to see the dog in person, that's the best advice I can give you.  If you can't see the dog this week then try and get out of this situation.  And next time, see the dog before giving a deposit and don't offer to pay in a way that is not normal practice for that company.

How long ago and what state did you buy your golden? When we bought ours 10 years ago from a "puppy broker" he was only 500. Thisvtime around we called TEN in our state and the lowest was 1200.00. We called other states around us and they were all the color we didnt want or 1600.00. This one was 800... More our price range. We went on puppy find and found that a lit of mudwestern states are only 350-500, but we wanted to try locally before hsving one shipped and really not knowing if they are legit.
  • myrihanna
    January 4, 2013 at 5:09 PM
    Me ex was a breeder and yes deposits are required but something smells fishy. IMO you should cancel. If not, just be really careful. Are you getting the paper work?
  • Nathans_mom0612
    January 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    Quoting myrihanna:

Me ex was a breeder and yes deposits are required but something smells fishy. IMO you should cancel. If not, just be really careful. Are you getting the paper work?

Oh yeah. Even though I sent her money...I'm not stupid. I keep copies of EVERYTHING! That way if I have to sue her, I have all my ducks in a row. She is responding to my texts now so I'm not as suspicious anymore.

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts