Featured Posts
Anonymous
Call CPS or is it really not my place? UPDATE.....UPDATE 2
by Anonymous
December 28, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Well im a sahm and baby sit some of my friends kids. i just recently started baby am old friends dd, she is 10 month and she has a 6 year old brother. since school was out i told her mom that i would keep the brother as well. so he cam over the 1st day played with my big kids and had a blast. well he didnt show up the 2nd day(yesterday) when i asked the mom where he was today she told me that he was at home. i aksed who was watching him and she said "no one, but if he needs anything he knows the neighbors and how to use the phone" i said ok and tried to push the thought out of my mind. but i just cant do it. i found out from my friend(the dad to the baby and step dad to 6 year old) that this is a normal thing. While yes he is mature for his age, he isnt mature enough to stay at home alone ALL day at 6 years old.

idk if this is worth me calling CPS or if i should just let it go. i know nothing bad has happened but if something does and i know he was at home alone i would feel so bad that i knew and i did do anything to stop it. but at the same time, i love my friend and i dont want to start drama at their house and lose a friend and money because they dont let me watch their dd anymore.

ugh idk what to do.

dad drops baby off, no brother, asked where he was and he said he didnt want to come because the kids have to stay in the kids room(where their toys and movies are, toys are NOT allowed in the living room) i told the dad that it really bothers me knowing that a 6 year old child is home alone and he said that was the moms call and he doesnt really have a say in it. but the neighbors are home and all that.

I have talked to both parents about how i feel and i have also done some research on the age limits of when a child can stay home alone. in my state we have none, they have to demonstrate certain things, and he checks out on all of them. If i know he i home alone again(he is at his dads this week) i will be calling the cop for a wellfare check on the child. 

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    December 28, 2012 at 8:52 AM

i know lol i just wanted someone to tell me different i guess. i really dont want to start drama and shit. it is really hard for me because his SD is one of my good friends and i dont want him to be mad at me. but i know i have to put the welfare of the child 1st over my feelings

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Exactly.... I think you answered your own question.

Quoting Anonymous:

yes it is.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

8-9 maturity is still under the state law limits.

Quoting Anonymous:

me either. but at the same time this child is more on a 8 or 9 year old maturity level, that is why im so "should i call or not"

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what the best thing to do would be.  I know I have a 6 year old and I can't imagine leaving her home alone.  

• ShannyLouisiany
    December 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    are you serious? in no way, shape, or form is a SIX YEAR OLD responsible enough to be left home alone. at all.

Quoting jedwards2009:

Eh not a big deal to me. My parents were letting me stay home alone at six. If he is responsible enough I see nothing wrong with it.

• New.OrleansLady
    December 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Have you talked to the mom and the boyfriend about it? I know you said the boyfriend said her kid he has no say but remind him he will also be help liable I something happens. He is allowing the child to stay at home when he knows its wrong. In the eyes of the courts he will get charged with probably child neglect and child endangerment too. Good possibility of getting both kids taken away and jail time.

Quoting Anonymous:

i know lol i just wanted someone to tell me different i guess. i really dont want to start drama and shit. it is really hard for me because his SD is one of my good friends and i dont want him to be mad at me. but i know i have to put the welfare of the child 1st over my feelings

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

yes it is.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

me either. but at the same time this child is more on a 8 or 9 year old maturity level, that is why im so "should i call or not"

Quoting Anonymous:

Idk what the best thing to do would be.  I know I have a 6 year old and I can't imagine leaving her home alone.  

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    December 28, 2012 at 9:02 AM

i talked to both the parents about it this morning and they both kind of just blew it off! saying "well the neighbors are home" etc. what if they have to go to the store or something? what if someone breaks in and he is in his room? there is no way for him to get out because of the way the house is set up, both the front door and back door are closer to the front of  the house

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Have you talked to the mom and the boyfriend about it? I know you said the boyfriend said her kid he has no say but remind him he will also be help liable I something happens. He is allowing the child to stay at home when he knows its wrong. In the eyes of the courts he will get charged with probably child neglect and child endangerment too. Good possibility of getting both kids taken away and jail time.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

yes it is.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

• LoveMyLos
    December 28, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    You came on here askin.g what to do. Majority told you to call police bc it is irresponcible and neglect to leave a 6 yr old home alone all day. Have you called police yet? Doubt it.

Quoting :

• New.OrleansLady
    December 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM

I'd call the non emergency pd line. I'd ask for a welfare check of a 6yr old possibly home alone. They will go out there.  

Quoting Anonymous:

i talked to both the parents about it this morning and they both kind of just blew it off! saying "well the neighbors are home" etc. what if they have to go to the store or something? what if someone breaks in and he is in his room? there is no way for him to get out because of the way the house is set up, both the front door and back door are closer to the front of  the house

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

yes it is.

Quoting New.OrleansLady:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

• Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    December 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    most states have recommendations, not laws. Look it up. Very few states have an age.
  • Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    December 28, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    My daughter is 5 and I don't even let her stay home when I walk the dog around the block.
  • Anonymous 6
    by Anonymous 6
    December 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    Kids 10 and over can stay home alone. Call the police is the incident is in process.
  • motherof3kids12
    December 28, 2012 at 3:46 PM

omg  i  would be on that so fast they wouldnt no how fast omg wow parents now days omg i would call  yes and you doing wrong not too call u are saving this baby life and mom and dad alot of staying out of trouble

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN