The Cafe

nodramamama311
I guess we just got lucky.
December 9, 2012 at 3:22 PM
I always hear people complaining that kids these days are too much into video games, texting, and TV.

Our kids, 4 and 11, both have hand held video game devices, they both have TVs in their rooms, our 11 yr old had a Kindle Fire and a cell phone, which she just got for her birthday because she's been a straight A student for the last 3 yrs, and they both still LOVE to read ( or be read to, our 4 yr old ), LOVE to play outside, LOVE to just chill and hang with us and talk and LOVE to play sports. They both just finished soccer season. I am not by any means saying anything I've done made them this way, or maybe it has, but I guess I just don't see why all tho technology is so bad. My kids have learned so much from it. I think it's helped a lot, along with what we teach them.

Replies

• gonecrazi
    December 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM

My boys (16&10) love sports,being outside,and of course video games. I think it does have to do with the way you raise them. Teach them balance and they will practice balance. 

• nodramamama311
    December 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    You're right and I think what made me make this post was some very ugly words from my mother in law about our daughter getting an iPhone for her birthday. We did not pay full price for it of course. It was my upgrade that I gave to her, plus we got her a refurbished one so it was about 50 bucks. I think for all she's accomplished it was totally worth it.

Quoting gonecrazi:

My boys (16&10) love sports,being outside,and of course video games. I think it does have to do with the way you raise them. Teach them balance and they will practice balance. 

• sabrtooth1
    December 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

And there are the people who smoke a pack of cigs, & drink a couple shots every day, and live to be 90.  BTW, your kids are only 11 & 4.  They haven't dodged the all the bullets yet.  Check back with us after your kids hit Jr Hi & HS.  And what does an 11yo need a cell phone for?

• 1likeme
    by 1likeme
    December 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    I don't understand the anti technology sentiment either. My son and his friend used a cell phone to make a super awesome stop motion movie on Friday. Saturday we went on a nice long hike. Today we all celebrated a birthday where every kid had a blast playing with each other. I think that people in general have negative associations with anything they did not experience first hand. I also think that many people have romanticized the past generations.
  • Pixycstixs
    December 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM

If my 4 year old had the option he would be outside all the time! Hes been waiting for it to snow and today it finally did, he was so excited. But hes always been an outside kindve kid. He does have a leappad but for some reason he only likes the stories that gets read to him. I love that he loves being active!

• nodramamama311
    December 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM
    We got her one when we moved here, to this tiny town, because her class has gone in field trips way out of town and I'm very uncomfortable with that. It lets her text and let me know they've arrived safely at places and such. Also I run errands a lot in town and she doesn't always want to come, she can stay home and have access to me or daddy or the police if need be while I'm out. Our town is only 6 miles from end to end but still. I don't see what the big deal is.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

And there are the people who smoke a pack of cigs, & drink a couple shots every day, and live to be 90.  BTW, your kids are only 11 & 4.  They haven't dodged the all the bullets yet.  Check back with us after your kids hit Jr Hi & HS.  And what does an 11yo need a cell phone for?

• polkaspots
    December 10, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    The issue is with parents who use the tech stuff instead of interacting with their kids or providing other activities. My husband played hours of video games every day because his parents' only interest was church and he wasn't allowed to go out.
  • crazymommy2007
    December 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM

And when we were kids it was something else that the older ones didn't like.  Hahaha.

• momofsixangels
    December 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM

My kids love to play outside,read and bike ride

The Cafe