The Cafe

Featured Posts
Momma22monkeys
She prescribed AVALOX??
December 6, 2012 at 3:53 PM
For strep throat...anyone ever take it???

Replies

• agrisham13mom
    December 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    I have never personally taken it but have several patients that have... Of you have a concern or are you just wanting to know if anyone has taken it?
  • Momma22monkeys
    December 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    Both! I'm scared to take it after reading about it. It seems to be pretty harsh...
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    December 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    My sister is a PA and said it won't work for strep.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    December 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    Never hear of it. I usually get keflex or something like that. A very old drug.
  • grannie_kel
    December 6, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Avelox will work for strep.  If you  have questions, you should talk to the doctor about it.  Be careful about the medical advice you get from anyone who is not a physician. 

• grannie_kel
    December 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Your sister is wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

My sister is a PA and said it won't work for strep.

• TommyAbby
    December 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Yes, my daughter did. It worked.

And yes, it is used to treat Strep.

Avelox (Avalox) is a prescription antibiotic used to treat infections caused by certain bacteria. It kills bacteria that can cause sinusitis, pneumonia, and secondary infections in chronic bronchitis. It also fights skin infections caused by staph or strep. Like all antibiotics, Avelox (Avalox) works only against bacteria. It will not cure an infection caused by a virus.

Whoever has the sister who is a PA.. that PA needs to take pharmacology over again. 

• Thelmama
    December 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I have had it and it landed me in the ER.  I had a rare reaction and my heart rate went to 225 beats a minute.  The intern said oh it couldn't be the medicine.  The head doctor came in and told him different.  I thought I was dying. It was awful.

• gonecrazi
    December 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Nope.. 

• november117
    December 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    Avelox works. Usually used for bronchitis or sinus issues but I am sure it could be ised for strep. :) Feel better!

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts