Featured Posts
TinaNicu
Atheists and Christmas
November 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I was just thinking about the holidays and was wondering who celebrates it. My question is for those of you who do not believe in God: do you celebrate Christmas? If yes, Why and how do you celebrate it? 

Replies

• danie24
    by danie24
    November 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

We are an Atheist family.. we celebrate Xmas the same way most Xians do.. using the Pagan traditions :)

Putting up and decorating a tree, singing songs, giving gifts, playing Santa with our children, making lots of great food and spending time with family and friends.

• unspecified42
    November 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I'm an atheist. We celebrate Christmas in a traditional way- Christmas carols, tree, lights, presents, etc. Sometimes even church on Christmas Eve. We always go to my parents' for Christmas morning. For us, it's tradition. My family is Christian and I was a Christian for a while growing up, but I have found many reasons to celebrate even after losing my beliefs. I love the memories, having time with family, celebrating love and generosity, seeing family members I only see a few times a year, the excitment that the kids have Christmas morning, playing Santa, etc. 

This will be the second year that my Jewish boyfriend will be celebrating with us, too:)

• polkastria
    November 22, 2012 at 9:45 AM

We are an Atheist and Pagan family so we have a small family dinner and exchange presents on Solstice. We just stay in and play video games on Dec.25th as there is nothing else to do with everything closed.

• EireLass
    November 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I believe in God. I believe in Jesus Christ. I don't celebrate Christmas.

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    November 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM
    More agnostic than atheist. Yes we have Christmas.
  • nodramamama311
    November 22, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    I am agnostic, my husband is Christian. Our kids do not have labels yet, they will decide for themselves when they can. We celebrate Xmas! I love Xmas! We decorate, open gifts, eat, drink, and be with family. To me it's more for the kids. Our kids are such great kids and we love to spoil them this time of year, BUT, we also teach them about giving. I don't like thanksgiving but whatever, holidays are whatever you want them to be. That's the beauty of freedom!
  • LivinDeadGurl
    November 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I don't believe in God, but I am also not Atheist. I am Pagan.

I celebrate Yule (Winter Solstice), but celebrate on Christmas Day since the kids are out of school and my husband doesn't work.

• TinaNicu
    November 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Quoting danie24:

We are an Atheist family.. we celebrate Xmas the same way most Xians do.. using the Pagan traditions :)

Putting up and decorating a tree, singing songs, giving gifts, playing Santa with our children, making lots of great food and spending time with family and friends.

That is true. Most of the traditions are pagan ones. I often find that many Christians tend to get caught up in the pagan traditions and leave the birth of Christ almost as an afterthought. 

• TinaNicu
    November 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm an atheist. We celebrate Christmas in a traditional way- Christmas carols, tree, lights, presents, etc. Sometimes even church on Christmas Eve. We always go to my parents' for Christmas morning. For us, it's tradition. My family is Christian and I was a Christian for a while growing up, but I have found many reasons to celebrate even after losing my beliefs. I love the memories, having time with family, celebrating love and generosity, seeing family members I only see a few times a year, the excitment that the kids have Christmas morning, playing Santa, etc. 

This will be the second year that my Jewish boyfriend will be celebrating with us, too:)

I also know a Jewish woman at work who really gets into Christmas too! 

• angelachristine
    November 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

yeah i do. we do presents, the big meal, the tree etc... sometimes we even listen to the music. it's more of a nostalgia and family bonding thing than anything religious for us. 

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts