Featured Posts
Keatonzmom
Family suffering from itchy bumps all over body
November 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

It started with my husband who this summer started getting very itchy and it didn't pass on to me till we moved into our new house this September. The bumps on both of us didn't appear till about that time as well and they've only escalated since then. I went to the doctor and he said no sign of any type of bug/mites but thought it might be PUPP since i'm pregnant. Well I used the cream he gave me and it had no effect. 

I've started noticing small little bumps on my three year olds back but he doesn't ever complain that it itches so I don't know if that's just coincidence. All three of us do suffer from eczema and i'm wondering if maybe something at our new house has flared the eczema. Just don't know what on earth could have done that.

We have been using the same soaps as we always have and our water doesn't smell very strong of chlorine or anything. 

My husband has it worse then I do but this constant itching and bumps has gone on long enough! We've tried so many different things to help ease the itching:

-vaseline

-aloe

-oatmeal baths

-bath oils

-changing laundry detergent to hypo-allergenic 

-my husband has started benedryl which seems to kind of be working but leaves me SOL with being pregnant

We're just at a loss and having to spend money on the doctor for them to not know what it is seems silly. Anyone have any ideas? Or maybe a stronger method of relieving itching? It would be SO appreciated! I don't think we can stand it much longer!

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    November 19, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    Does the itching increase at night? Sounds exactly like scabies. Many times doctors can not give you a definite or are wrong. Also it may take repeated use of the cream before you are cured. It would also include an immense amount of cleaning.
  • Keatonzmom
    November 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I was afraid of that at first but our symptoms don't match the major areas. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Does the itching increase at night? Sounds exactly like scabies. Many times doctors can not give you a definite or are wrong. Also it may take repeated use of the cream before you are cured. It would also include an immense amount of cleaning.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    November 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    I can tell you about our bout with it. It never appeared to be scabies. Not one picture or description appeared to be what I had. The only thing that was right on was the increase of itching after 6pm. My primary said he thought it maybe scabies but wasn't sure at all. I saw 3 different extremely good dermatologist. I had slivers of skin taken on numerous occasions. I went to the top allergist thinking maybe that was it. I went threw over 100 different shots. I was on a prescription strength benedryl taking pills constantly. Then after 6 months DS & DH started showing symptoms. DH's primary swore that it wasn't scabies. I took DS to his primary, crying telling my story. They had 4 doctors in and decided scabies. After spending well over $800 on new bedding, steam cleaning, new towels, etc., cleaning the house and cars, staying in a hotel for 3 days after applying the ointment (for the 4th time) so that the bugs could die off. We were cured. This all took 8 months. It was the most horrible experience ever. Moral of my story .. Keep pushing and try the meds again but with extensive cleaning. I finally figured out I got the scabies from a rental car. I will never rent a car again!

Quoting Keatonzmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    November 19, 2012 at 9:05 AM
    Do you have animals? Is it fleas?
  • notjstasocermom
    November 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM

do you have any pets?

• Keatonzmom
    November 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM

I do have pets and no it's not fleas. I've experienced that before and it definitely isn't fleas.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you have animals? Is it fleas?

• Keatonzmom
    November 19, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Ugh. I would be so mad at my husband if that was the case lol. That's the last thing we need before having a baby. Plus we're already strapped on money for the next couple months. Also, I JUST bought this bed and bedding in January. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I can tell you about our bout with it. It never appeared to be scabies. Not one picture or description appeared to be what I had. The only thing that was right on was the increase of itching after 6pm. My primary said he thought it maybe scabies but wasn't sure at all. I saw 3 different extremely good dermatologist. I had slivers of skin taken on numerous occasions. I went to the top allergist thinking maybe that was it. I went threw over 100 different shots. I was on a prescription strength benedryl taking pills constantly. Then after 6 months DS & DH started showing symptoms. DH's primary swore that it wasn't scabies. I took DS to his primary, crying telling my story. They had 4 doctors in and decided scabies. After spending well over $800 on new bedding, steam cleaning, new towels, etc., cleaning the house and cars, staying in a hotel for 3 days after applying the ointment (for the 4th time) so that the bugs could die off. We were cured. This all took 8 months. It was the most horrible experience ever. Moral of my story .. Keep pushing and try the meds again but with extensive cleaning. I finally figured out I got the scabies from a rental car. I will never rent a car again!

Quoting Keatonzmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

• LoveVenus
    November 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Dou have carpets?Sometimes,we don't realize,as much as you can vaccume the carpet there can still be dust mites.My youngest daughter suffers from eczema.We needed a cream with steriods to subdue the itching and scabs.She was prescribed hydrocortizone 2.5%.Try asking for an allergy skin test.See what's the results for all three of you guys.

• Keatonzmom
    November 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Gosh I hope it's just that easy. My husband runs a carpet cleaning business so we could fix that mess up real quick. He's not the one that did the cleaning when we moved in so who knows how well they did. 

Quoting LoveVenus:

Dou have carpets?Sometimes,we don't realize,as much as you can vaccume the carpet there can still be dust mites.My youngest daughter suffers from eczema.We needed a cream with steriods to subdue the itching and scabs.She was prescribed hydrocortizone 2.5%.Try asking for an allergy skin test.See what's the results for all three of you guys.

• woodit2u
    November 19, 2012 at 9:23 AM

I automatically thought scabies when I read your post. I worked for a dermatologist for two years. Scabies doesn't always present itself in a typical fashion especially once an infestation gets out of control. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I can tell you about our bout with it. It never appeared to be scabies. Not one picture or description appeared to be what I had. The only thing that was right on was the increase of itching after 6pm. My primary said he thought it maybe scabies but wasn't sure at all. I saw 3 different extremely good dermatologist. I had slivers of skin taken on numerous occasions. I went to the top allergist thinking maybe that was it. I went threw over 100 different shots. I was on a prescription strength benedryl taking pills constantly. Then after 6 months DS & DH started showing symptoms. DH's primary swore that it wasn't scabies. I took DS to his primary, crying telling my story. They had 4 doctors in and decided scabies. After spending well over $800 on new bedding, steam cleaning, new towels, etc., cleaning the house and cars, staying in a hotel for 3 days after applying the ointment (for the 4th time) so that the bugs could die off. We were cured. This all took 8 months. It was the most horrible experience ever. Moral of my story .. Keep pushing and try the meds again but with extensive cleaning. I finally figured out I got the scabies from a rental car. I will never rent a car again!.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts