Featured Posts
Anonymous
have you ever had a parenting FAIL?
by Anonymous
October 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM

i have been a parent for a total of 3 years so far and while I definitely aim for an "A" every day, i know we all have our moments because we are human and it happens unfortunately.

To be specific, my little girl whose 5 months fell off the bed yesterday after a nap. shes been quite the wiggleworm lately and i feel tremendous amounts of guilt about it. but our bed is literally floor-box spring-mattress theres no frame so i knew she wasn't seriously injured. i know its a fairly common occurance as far as parenting fails go, but its just one of mine. i shuddered when i told my husband it happened. I know my mother isnt going to recant the stories of my falling out of the bed. so i am asking for any stories you would prefer to pretend that they never hapnd.

Replies

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    October 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    Get socks with rubber bottoms
    Wear slippers
    Or barefoot

I can look back on it now and kinda laugh but it was terrifying at the time.
    I think my husband flew downstairs when he heard it. He immediately grabbed the baby to calm him down and so that I could contain myself.
    Gotta live those maternal instincts that kick in in a time of panic cause I instantly tucked him into me when I started to feel the fall coming. So amazing, I didn't even have to think about it. It was just instinctive.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is my fear! Our entire house is tile and I just decide to go barefoot to prevent this from happening. Thanx for sharing.

Quoting AleaKat:

Yep! Decided it was a good idea to walk down wooden stairs in socks in the middle of the night with my 5 month old in arms. Slipped fell down the stairs he hit the back of his head on a step but I took the brunt. My entire side was covered in bruises and I cried more than the baby did . He has a knot on his head but no real damage.

Iv got tons of others I'm sure.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    My son grew out of it. And now he's super afraid of me "leaving him" but its comforting to know it can happen to anyone. I can't imagine how horrified you were being in a whole different state. At least when it hapns in a store they can shut the store down but outside I instant fear pedophiles. I can't imagine not knowing where my kid is if he was kidnapped. I feel so sorry for those families. They rarely find the kids alive. I'm glad yours and mine was okay. Thanks for sharing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

My son went through this phase of walking off. And my first scare was when he was maybe twenty months, I got him dressed to leave and then remembered I had to check on the laundry first. So I went and my husband was napping and my son took the opportunity to walk out of the house unattended. By the time I realized it, he was nowhere to be found. I am so thankful to god that he left the door open behind him otherwise I would've had no clue. We usually go for walks so I looked down the side of the street and there he was. I called for him and he ran. I had been calling for him so he was probably running for a bit. But I had never been so scared in all my life.
    Until the second time he ran off.
    An ungated park. I was pregnant and watching him. Looked over and looked back at the spot he was playing he was wasn't there.
    Yeah for a total of maybe two minutes, I was the crazy irresponsible parent screaming out their kids name in a public park, speed-walking because HE HAS TO BE HERE SOMEWHERE.
    A man walked in my direction with my son showing him the way. My son said "this is my momma!" And the man looked at me SO incredibly judgemental it almost clouded how glad I was to see my kid again. That day I bought a leash. And a week later I returned it. Never had nething like that happen again THANK GOD!

this happened to me,and it was horrible cause we was on vacation at the beach in another state,I turned my head for a second and bam ds was gone,scared me to death,he had went to the snack bar and the found him and was keeping him and giving him snacks lol it probly lasted about 4 min I went to the snack bar to call the beach patrol when they told me they had him,I was so scared it still scares me when I think about it,I now keep a very close eye on him,cause he is bad about wondering off

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 15, 2012 at 2:01 PM
    Looks like yur hubby had some paternal instincts too. Yur ryt about it being amazing when something inside your just takes over your actions. Instincts are very real. I guess that's apart of the reason why parenting fails feel so bad. Sometimes are insticts aren't working at 100% enough to prevent any bad thing from happening at all. But if everything went smoothly all the time what would we learn ryt?

Quoting AleaKat:

Get socks with rubber bottoms

Wear slippers

Or barefoot

I can look back on it now and kinda laugh but it was terrifying at the time.

I think my husband flew downstairs when he heard it. He immediately grabbed the baby to calm him down and so that I could contain myself.

Gotta live those maternal instincts that kick in in a time of panic cause I instantly tucked him into me when I started to feel the fall coming. So amazing, I didn't even have to think about it. It was just instinctive.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is my fear! Our entire house is tile and I just decide to go barefoot to prevent this from happening. Thanx for sharing.

Quoting AleaKat:

Yep! Decided it was a good idea to walk down wooden stairs in socks in the middle of the night with my 5 month old in arms. Slipped fell down the stairs he hit the back of his head on a step but I took the brunt. My entire side was covered in bruises and I cried more than the baby did . He has a knot on his head but no real damage.

Iv got tons of others I'm sure.

• RitaTequila531
    October 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Yes but I cringe everytime I think about it.
  • little.worthen
    October 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM
    Apparently I have. And I'm still getting crap for it in another group...
  • Jacqalyn
    October 15, 2012 at 3:16 PM

I've been a mom for 13 years and yes I have a few as well.

I fallen forward ( tripped over the edge of the sidewalk) while walking and holding my oldest dd. The only thing I could do to keep from falling on her was dropping her and throwing my body to the other side. She has also rolled off the bed as well but I caught her before she hit the floor. I was doing laundry and had her laying on the bed next to me while I was folding the clothes. The next thing I know she is rolling. I caught her turned around and knocked the box fan that was next to the bed off onto my toe. She was fine but my big toe was black and blue by the end of the day.

I have also fallen while getting out of the car with my ds. I had just gotten him out of the car seat and went to step out. Needless to say my foot wasn't planted as well as I thought.

The only one I haven't had a parent fail with yet is my youngest dd.

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    October 15, 2012 at 3:23 PM

I had a huge Fail when my second was 5 weeks old.  I had gotten a rootcanal that morning (my first ever major dental thing), I wasn't on any meds but I was still just not myself.  We went to the park and let my older son play @ the playground.  We decided to take a walk around the lake, and it being a bit warm outside I decided I wouldnt "strap" the baby in his carrier, that he was safe with it being in the stroller...Plus I figured he would cry and I'd need to pick him up since the walk was quite a ways.  

Well we made it around the whole lake, and got back to the car...I picked up the carrier...having forgot he was not strapped in...I walked around the car and before I knew it..I heard it...Two cracking sounds...He had fallen to the ground.  At that moment I grabbed him up, not remember if he was face up or face down(a question they repeatedly asked at the hospital).  We called an ambulance there as I sat with him in the car. They looked at him and said he seemed fine...that I could jut drive him to the hospital myself.  So we did...It turned out he had one, possibly two skull fractures...but because he was so young they couldnt differentiate them from his natural skull sutures(separations in the skull).  We stayed over night for observation, but early the next morning he smiled for the first time ever.  We was going to be just fine, and he is...4 years later.

• abouttobeamom
    October 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    Yes, 2 days ago, me and my hubby forgot tobuckle in our oldest, she's 4. I felt like a shihead afterwards and hubby and I both felt ashamed
  • ssenter
    by ssenter
    October 15, 2012 at 6:50 PM

My son at 8 months jumped off the bed and hit his head on the door knob to the closet. He started walking at 7 and a half months and I wasn't prepared for how quickly he would take off he is my first. Luckily my bed did not have a frame so the only damage he had was a bump from the door knob but it scared the crap out of me because I watched him do it but couldnt get to him fast enough to stop him.

• LavenderHeather
    October 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    Don't worry! My daughter fell off the bed at 4mths onto straight ceramic tile and we did have our bed on a frame! She thankfully was ok and she didn't even cry! I also accidentally shut her entire foot in the hinge of the car door! It comepletely closed! Omg I felt soo awful for days! Her cry was awful to hear! But thankfully nothing broken, just bruising. She was back on it in her walker later that day!
Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts