Featured Posts
Anonymous
Closed minded? Well, that's my opinion.
by Anonymous
October 13, 2012 at 4:10 AM

So, I made this comment in another post about something different, but I am in a mood to discuss it now that I have thought of it. Please read and tell me your thoughts?

Quote:

As I have said before, I have read many, many books. So, naturally, I have seen good and bad writing. I am used to pushing myself past the beginning of books sometimes, there were a lot that didn't capture me for the first few chapters. But the stories always turned out to be really good and worth it. I understand what you mean about this one too, i remember thinking 'really?' when i realized the author sucked at writing lol. But I actually just finished reading it, with bad writing and skipping the trashier sex scenes, and yet I can't wait to read the next one because the story is good.

Why is that so hard for people to understand? Would you also dismiss a low budget film in the same manner? If you do, well ok then. Your loss.

Replies

• charliebean
    October 13, 2012 at 4:12 AM
    I agree.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    October 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

BUMP

• itsblissmas
    October 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM

I don't know. I suppose it would depend on my mood. LOL!

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    October 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Filling a book with gratuitous, trashy sex does not magically make someone who sucks at writing into a good writer.  Also, what you consider to be a good story, others may not.  It's like a lot of hair-flipping in a dance number - many times it's worked into the choreography to draw attention away from the fact that the dancer can't dance.  Same concept applies with those books filled with trashy sex.  The writer isn't capable of producing good material, so they compensate with sexual interludes. 

To each their own, but I don't read smut.

• Anonymous 1
    October 13, 2012 at 10:35 PM

If you re-read my post, you'll see that I said I skipped those trashy sex moments because they made me uncomfortable. And it was still a good book. I see what you mean though, I would very much dislike a book that was doing exactly what you mentioned, I'm no horndog.

And when I wrote this I also had in mind all the things I have heard people say about Twilight and House of Night and a few other good books. They consist of poor writing as well, but are still good stories. That is why I started a new thread, this isn't just about 50 Shades.

Quoting Anonymous:

Filling a book with gratuitous, trashy sex does not magically make someone who sucks at writing into a good writer.  Also, what you consider to be a good story, others may not.  It's like a lot of hair-flipping in a dance number - many times it's worked into the choreography to draw attention away from the fact that the dancer can't dance.  Same concept applies with those books filled with trashy sex.  The writer isn't capable of producing good material, so they compensate with sexual interludes. 

• sweettigeress
    October 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Meh, if I like it, I like it. Writing doesn't matter to me. 

• kailu1835
    October 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Totally agree.  I read romance novels all the time.  The ones that fit my tastes are ones that are filled with the chase, and have very little actual sex.  Those are the ones that keep the pages turning for me.  If I've hit a raunch graphic sex scene by the 5th page, I put the book down.

Quoting Anonymous:

• zeesmuse
    October 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM

you're talking about 50 Shades????

• BluePandaDreams
    October 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Different strokes for different folks. What I enjoy or consider excellent writing, someone else may consider crap or horrible writing. It makes no difference to me if the sex scenes in the romance novel I am reading is spelled out to me in the raunchiest detail or politely closes the bedroom door right when I am getting into it, I still enjoy the book if the author has grabbed and held my attention by the third paragraph.
  • Anonymous 1
    October 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Quoting zeesmuse:

you're talking about 50 Shades????

No, that is just what started the conversation.

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts