The Cafe

Featured Posts
steveiguana
Family: Columbus boy told he can't try out for basketball team because of breast cancer pink mohawk
October 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM

COLUMBUS, Ind. - A Columbus boy sporting a pink Mohawk in honor of his mother's breast cancer battle was told he couldn't try out for the school's basketball team because of his hairdo, the family said.

Trevor Foster, a sixth-grader at Clifty Creek Elementary in Columbus, and his older brother both shaved their heads, leaving behind a thin strip of hair on top, a breast cancer ribbon design on one side and dying everything pink, their father, Tamage Foster told RTV6.

The boys' mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last year and has undergone several surgeries since, including one earlier this week.

"We've been very open with the boys. They know everything about her treatment," Tamage Foster said.

The family was shocked after they said Principal Cynthia Frost told Trevor that he wouldn't be able to try out for the school basketball team unless he changed his hair style.

"Trevor comes home from school and tells me that the principal, Mrs. Frost, informs him that he can't try out for basketball with his hair cut the way it is and dyed red. Trevor informs her that it isn't red, it's pink," Tamage Foster said.

Trevor's father took to Facebook, posting pictures of his sons' haircuts and soliciting support from the community. He also called the school and contacted school board members about the incident.

Soon after, he said he received an apologetic phone call from Frost, who explained that Trevor had misunderstood what she said.

"She was hoping that my son didn't take her comment the wrong way, but she wouldn't change a thing about him," Tamage Foster said.

Frost told the family that Trevor could try out for the basketball team, and that she wants him to help him organize a school-wide effort to raise funds for breast cancer research.

"They are going to start up a student council, which Clifty Creek has never had before," Tamage Foster said after meeting with Frost. "(She) said Trevor is one of the leaders in his grade, (and that) she felt so bad that she wore pink today to show support for Trevor."

Frost had not returned a call for comment Thursday.

Replies

• steveiguana
    October 4, 2012 at 6:09 PM

• atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    October 4, 2012 at 6:14 PM
    Whatever the school rules are goes.
  • Punkie74
    October 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    I'm confused... can he try out or not?
  • merryvoice
    October 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM
    I think what they did was sweet! I don't get the big deal.
  • unspecified42
    October 6, 2012 at 5:51 AM

I couldn't give myself a pink mohawk for breast cancer awareness or a big autism puzzle piece tattooed in my forehead and expect to still be allowed to work. Actions and consequences. I'm not clear on why this is news, particularly since the school backed down anyway.

• sweettigeress
    October 6, 2012 at 1:47 PM

This. It amazes me that many people doesn't have any common sense. They should know the school would not allow his hair no matter what the cause is for.

Quoting atlmom2:

Whatever the school rules are goes.

The Cafe

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts