Pop Culture Junkies

Cafe Kelly
Rihanna Lets Chris Brown Share Grammys Night With Her & That's Her Problem
February 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Rihanna Lets Chris Brown Share Grammys Night With Her & That's Her Problem

Posted by Jeanne Sager

Chris Brown Rihanna Grammys Do you realize it's been four years since Rihanna was forced to skip the Grammy Awards because her boyfriend had beaten the ever living snot out of her? FOUR years. And yet, here we are again, talking about Chris Brown and Rihanna at the Grammys.

The Barbadian singer decided to follow the Grammys dress code -- despite her threat to ignore it -- and she looked absolutely stunning in red. It's too bad she didn't ignore Breezy too.

Too bad for her, that is ...

The couple that shouldn't be was caught canoodling in a photo that's hard to look at not for what it shows but what it represents: a smart, sexy, successful woman who still can't get out of her own way.

Sad. But it's not our problem. It's Rihanna's.

She has chosen to reconcile with her domestic abuser despite a nation of people holding their hands out to help her. Rihanna even decided to let Chris Brown share her spotlight on Grammy night, a night that carries so many bad memories for them. If that doesn't speak volumes about the cycle of domestic violence, I don't know what does.

So ... are we ready to give Rihanna a break, yet America? For four years, we have expected her to step up and be some perfect example of how to move past domestic violence. And every time she stumbles, we get angry with her.

It's time we stop. NOW.

So Rihanna hasn't moved past domestic violence? So she is still caught up in the cycle? Need I remind you that she is the victim here. In fact, she is a perfect example of a domestic violence victim ... forgiving, accepting of apologies, willing to believe the best about her abuser, and unable to move on.

If we want to really talk about domestic violence in this country, we need to recognize that, recognize that women like Rihanna don't simply get better because we WANT them to. They need to find the strength and the support to escape the cycle, and that's neither easy nor quick. And it's even harder when you're a victim being attacked for, well, being a victim.

Do you get angry with Rihanna when you see her with Chris Brown? Why?

Image via Getty Images/Christopher Polk

Replies

• BeachMommy07
    February 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM

As someone who went through a DV relationship when I was younger-I don't understand her.

• jltplk25
    February 11, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Maybe she forgave him but hasn't forgotten. And no, I don't get angry b/c it isn't my life to lead.

• gmadiane
    February 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I dont get angry its her business if I agree or not

• mhaney03
    February 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM

It's her own fault if it happens again.  Sorry but it's how I feel.. along the lines of "fool me once, shame on you.. twice, and it's on me"

• hollydaze1974
    February 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    I just see a repeat of Whitney Houston, tbh.
  • happinessforyou
    February 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

The first time she would be the "victim". Isn't she just "volunteering" now?

Of all the people who should be able to get past this, it should be someone with a great support system, and money to get away from the guy who is hitting her. SMH

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    February 11, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    Apparently she loves the way he lies...
  • msjaxon
    by msjaxon
    February 11, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    The article is ridiculous... I can't with this mess....
  • MaeveLada
    February 11, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I guess that just goes to show that money and fame do not equal a support system.  She still has self confidence issues that evidently he knows how to exploit, I wish her well, but wonder how long does it take to hit rock bottom in her relationship. I hope she finds the strength to break away, but they are her demons not mine.  The part that makes people angry, I thinks is more of the Truly HORRIBLE MESSAGE that this sends--shows to other women/people.  Please young and old alike,, believe in yourself, treasure yourself first or no one else will really be able to treasure you!   

• johnny4ever
    February 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Quoting AleaKat:

Apparently she loves the way he lies...

Exactly!

Pop Culture Junkies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts