Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
rebekah519
new mom here: I make too much milk!!!!!
September 30, 2009 at 4:26 AM

PLEASE someone , anyone!!!! I need help / advice asap :) 

My daughter is 4 weeks old and for over a month now I have extreme engorgement. I haven't used the pump thinking this would only make matters worse and so far nothing has changed and its been over a week. I called my LC last week but never got the chance to talk since she called back I was nursing and when I called them back no return call.....etc etc......

My problem is my daughter nurses every 3 hours. Each feeding I nurse just one side but she never empties the one breast fully, just drinks for about 5 min then is full.My breast is softer though,thank god! If I try to give her more 30 min later she cries and totally refuses the same breast and goes back to bed. :o/

So my breasts are getting stimulated ever 6 hours basicly and often I have to press on them to relieve some engorgement before feeding her, especially in the morning around 6am. I ice them in between sometimes but haven't used cabbage because I'm afraid I'll cut  my milk supply....I have a hospital grade pump which I was using once a day  when giving her a bottle once a night for hubby to feed her but that totally stopped over a week ago when I couldn't stand being engorged and thought not using a  pump would fix things.....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE LOL  HELP!!!! I'm going crazy over sore,painful,fast let down breast and my baby is getting all gassy because of it! :o( 

~Becky

Replies

• AandCsmomBrandy
    September 30, 2009 at 6:57 AM

keep your breasts wrapped VERY tightly. try not to give them any stimulation other than nursing. pumping will increase your supply but it will also relieve some of your discomfort. pump an ounce from each side and that may help your discomfort without causing you to letdown. remember this too shall pass! nursing does get easier and your body will adjust to your baby's needs. good luck!!!     p.s. on a side note if you are planning on going back to work or being away from the baby for extended periods of time now would be a great time to build up your reserves by pumping and freezeing!!

• rebekah519
    September 30, 2009 at 7:09 AM

I actually bought sports bra's and its hurts more when they are tight. :o/ I am in no need for getting a supply is the freezer or refrigerator really... just breastfeeding alone is what I'm trying to get a grip on, it just reallllllllly stinks to be engorged for so long. I CAN'T WAIT till everything is "on schedule" and my breast feel normal :o(

Thank you for responding so quick :)

~Becky

• ArmyMom2oneboy
    September 30, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Do not wear anything tight or restrictive! That can lead to blocked ducts very quickly! What I recommend is pumping just enough to relieve the engorgement, then nurse on one side for 3-4 hours, no matter how many times she wants to nurse. This will help with the oversupply issue as well as the forcefull letdown. If the milk is still coming too fast after the few moments of pumping, let it spray into a towel (or bottle if you are talented!;0 ) until it slows a bit and then latch her on. I had this same problem in the beginning, and after a few weeks of block nursing like I suggested, it fixed itself. Hang in there Momma, and take advantage of that oversupply by saving the little bits you are pumping out to relieve the pressure!

• chamelinmom
    September 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM

i know what you mean mama, as soon as i got my milk in with my 2nd, i was pumping over 50oz extra a day on top of what he eats. My dr suggested this and it helped. pump before your baby goes on so your milk is the fattiest. then put your baby on, then pump til your comforable, no more. Then let it go, dont pump or do anything to it until your baby is on

• gdiamante
    September 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM

NO WRAPPING!

Use the cabbage leaves for just a short time. WIth an oversupply, they won't destroy it. And in any event, it takes mastectomy to truly destroy supply permanently.

• rebekah519
    September 30, 2009 at 8:11 PM

thank you ladies :)

• go_romanovs
    October 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Try offering both breasts at 1 feeding. There's no such thing as EMPTY breast during lactation. If she fell off all by herself :) and the breast does feel significantly softer - you can totally offer her the other side after burping or changing her if needed.  Even if she takes just a few sips you will feel A LOT better.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts